Sound Performance Lab

I was looking for some information in the Audiogon archives regarding SPL amps & preamps. There isn’t a lot but what there is has mostly been removed by the Moderator.

Has anyone had experience with these products and if so, could you please provide some feedback on both their amps & preamps, in particular the Performer s800 amp and the Director MK2 preamp which has a built-in DAC?

And, why do you think these threads have been removed?

128x128navyachts

I purchased the SPL S1200 and am absolutely loving it! It replaced a Sugden FBA 800. I. used the amps to drive a pair of DeVore Super Nines. Better frequency extension in the highs and lows, more dynamic (micro and macro) and better imaging. Very engaging listening and it runs very cool. More weight and body to instruments as well. Also, extremely quiet and very well made!

The only nit I have to pick is that the on/off rocker switch in the rear of the amp is a bit too close to the IEC inlet and is partially obscured by my after market power cord. Other than that...I can't find anything to criticize. 

@grk - Replaced your Sugden, that's saying something and a bit cheaper too. What are you using for a pre-amp and DAC if you don't mind me asking?

My pre is a Luxman C-900u. I also have a Modwright Oppo 205 as my digital source. Yes, the SPL is cheaper than the Sugden, especially now that the "The Music Room" is running a special on the 1200.