Are there any more good multi format disc players out there?

I miss the old days, circa 2007. I miss my great sounding multi channel Marantz disc player the UD7007, and the way it played dvd-audio, SACDs, and redbook convincingly. I have a lot of multi channel SACDs and dvd-a that I can’t listen to because my current player only does two channel. Does anyone know of any new players marketed for that same purpose, or do I need to get with the times, buy a streamer and admit defeat? I understand that not all multi channel audio was good, but a lot still is, and having the option to play it—in high resolution two channel as well—was terrific.

I still have the Marantz, but I was told it wasn’t worth repairing. Maybe it is after all. Maybe something on the used marketplace?

Anyone have any suggestions?

jonasandezekiel

With due respect to the other posters here, my sympathies are with the OP.

It is nonsense that a multichannel system cannot be high end.  I have two Multichannel systems in my home as well as a two channel.  The Universal Players are Oppo 203 and Pioneer LX 500, respectively.  A well recorded SACD, Blu Ray, or DVD-A can derive benefits from Multichannel.  Exhibit A is the Pentatone Brahms Symphony cycle with Marek Janowski and the Pittsburgh Symphony.  The extra channels are used to supply ambience, reflections, and such, and elevate a really good two channel recording to a superb and realistic concert experience.

Regrettably neither of those machines are available new.  Sony is still making Universal Players and the aforementioned Reavon is there as well

@mahler123 that’s the problem— I don’t want to part with all the multi channel discs I have, and many of them sound really good with a properly calibrated system. Granted, some of them don’t bring anything new to the table, or the way the sound is mixed makes you scratch your head, but if they sound too strange in multi, there’s always a two channel high rez option to listen to. I enjoyed these discs, even with all their quirks. 

And I’m convinced that high resolution audio is going to make a comeback. Without getting into a long winded discussion, it’s still superior to other formats.

@doctors11 yes, I’m still looking..thanks for that. Ive never heard of them but it looks promising.

Sony UBP-X800M2 And a D.BOB might work. All the units mentioned in this thread show up often enough in used market.