Why don't we tire of music?

So, there’s a lot of smart folk’s on this site, and I’ve been wondering why people never grow tired of listening to music. For example, we don’t read the same book over and over, nor do we watch the same TV show or movie over and over.  But, we never get tired of listening to the same music.  Why is this?  What is it in our mentally that allows this to happen?  Just curious...  Thanks!

quincy

larsman.  Wasn't really sure where to post this question.  My logic told me that analog would work because we are analog beings.  We don't hear music, or anything else for that matter in digital, we hear in analog, actual sound waves.  Hence the post in the analog section.  

larsman,

I agree with you. Whether or not we are discussing the technical or emotional aspects of music, it is after all this, music.

It is a really good question that is well worth the discussion. 

The one problem that I have with most music is when it gets 'stuck' in my head and won't go away. It is no longer enjoyable after hours of this, but rather a weed. The best that I can do about it is try and change the song to something else to replace it in the loop. Of course, now it won't go away.

Ah, that is called an 'ear worm'.  As far as I can tell everyone suffers from the phenomenon.  For me recently, 'Fly Robin Fly'.  A old disco dance song!

Think about it!

Aren't we all the happiest, when we're doing things that have no purpose, but to make us happy?

This treatise* (at about 00:08:30), speaks of music's purposelessness, but few will grasp that, without listening to what precedes.

Please, keep in mind: Watts died in 1973, SO: though some of what he says is still apropos to what's currently going down; this is in no way an attempt to politicize this thread.

*https://rumble.com/v1iidpl-the-benefit-of-living-with-no-purpose-alan-watts.html

ps: I wouldn't base any of my doctrine, on what's proffered toward the end, either.

Happy listening!

People tire eventually if too much of most anything.   Perhaps not money.