Opinions before purchasing

I've done a bunch of research on this sub and others and am starting to solidify my first real stereo system. I've used a 60 inch TV and very basic soundbar for years now and I'm moving to a 120" X3000i projector and real sound system. Room setup is 12x12, closed basement room. Going to mainly utilize the projector for movies/shows with some gaming thrown in there off a PC.

I've already purchased the Denon S760H since it seems to be able to do most things that I'll need and has some nice features and everyone loves it.

Currently debating between bookshelves/sub and towers/no sub, specifically between Airmotiv B1+ and a Speedwoofer sub or Airmotiv T1+ towers without sub. I've been happy with the soun bar for years and I tend to not like loud sub noises anywyas (spent enough time in Iraq and Afghanistan around loud noises), so I feel like I may not miss it? Room is also relatively small so a lot of power isn't needed. Either way I would go with the Airmotiv C1+ for center channel as well. Will probably stay at a 3.0 or 3.1 system for now and upgrade later.

Curious on everyone's thoughts here about the bookshelf/sub, towers/no sub decision and choices of equipment as well. Trying to stay around the 1000-1500 total budget range. Thanks for the help!

redonkawa

The above is for a calculation of a full wave. Using a reflected wave a dimension of 28 feet will work for 20hz. For 50hz you need 11 feet. Therefore your 12 X 12 room will be good for a bit lower than 50hz. Physics doesn't lie!

I’m using the Denon 1 step below yours with a set of floor standers and no sub.  I put one in for a while and it sounded amazing on movies, but I really didn’t have the room for it, so it went back to my 2 channel setup.

All the Best.

JD

@jasonbourne52 

Jason is correct, you’ll never get to 20hz, 50hz or so is about it as he stated, so I’d either go with bookshelves or towers that can get you to 50 and skip the sub, put the money into better overall speakers. 

I use KEF LS50 Meta and KEF KC62 sub. It is the perfect combo for my similar sized room. The KEF sub is for audio not so much for HT.

Don’t listen to the anti-sub club.  The room size matters not — it’s all in how you set up the sub.  A good sub makes all the difference in any room.  Once you’ve got it dialed in you won’t want to listen without it.