Mozart-Clarinet Quintet

Mozart loved the Clarinet, which was invented during his lifetime.  Many of his Symphonies and Piano Concertos exist in versions with and without clarinets, because the instrument was so new that many orchestras of the time didn’t have players.

Mozart wrote his three works featuring the instrument for one of his friends and drinking buddies.  The guy actually played a basset clarinet, which has an ugly looking appendage that is cumbersome to hold and completely spoils the looks of the elegant clarinet that we know.  It fell out of favor but importantly for Mozart’s pieces, it could go an octave lower than the traditional instrument.  The Basset Clarinet was resurrected by the Historically Informed crowd, and many passages that sound awkward on regular clarinets suddenly make sense on the basset.

The Quintet shows Mozart’s love of instrumental color.  He frequently mutes the strings and has the clarinet playing ghostly harmonies against ethereal strings.  Those passages alternate with sprightly dance like passages.  I love this piece and it is one of the most popular chamber music works.

My first recording featured Harold Wright, former Boston SO Principal, with assorted greats from the Marlboro Festival in Vermont.  My second and all time favorite is the Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Music Players.  I have several others and in general I prefer the ones with the Basset Clarinet.  
  Also check out the. Mozart Clarinet Concerto and the Skittles Trio

mahler123

Great commentary re this most wonderful chamber work and great to see the clarinet get some love! A few additional comments; some, related to the already mentioned facts.

It is interesting to note that early in the evolution of instruments commonly used today such as the clarinet, there was often little that was “standard” in their design as there is today. As has been noted, during Mozart’s time and for some time after, there existed many “varieties” of clarinets, pitched in different keys and with different ranges. Many became obsolete over the years. Players and/or composers would often commission instruments with unique design characteristics in order to satisfy compositional needs. Btw, to fine tune (😉) twoleftears’ excellent comments on this:

The clarinet variants that still exist today and their most commonly used range “designations” are piccolo clarinet (Ab), sopranino clarinet (Eb, D), soprano clarinet (C,Bb,A), alto clarinet (Eb), basset horn (F), contra alto (Eb) and contra bass (Bb). On a related note, it is interesting that both Mozart’s clarinet quintet and concerto were written in the key of A. The basset clarinet which Stadler owned, and as they are today, was pitched in the key of A. Mozart’s choice of the key of A for these works was surely because doing so would make the execution of technical passages much easier since, as has been noted, early clarinet variants had few keys; making difficult passages much more difficult or impossible if written in a different key. Btw, the modern basset clarinet looks nothing like the instrument that Stadler played. Today’s basset clarinet looks just like a “regular” clarinet, but with an extended lower joint and the necessary additional keys. Btw, the clarinet got its name from the Italian “clarino” (trumpet). Early clarinets had a trumpet-like tone quality.

Historically informed performances are often very interesting and some are excellent. In this case the extended range of the basset clarinet most certainly adds a degree of compositional authenticity to a performance. However, performances/recordings made with a regular A clarinet (no extended range) should not be dismissed as necessarily inferior. In fact, in my favorite recordings of this great work the basset clarinet is not used. Purists should consider how much performance practices have changed over the years. As inconceivable as it may seem today, but in typical fashion for the time, at the premiere performance of this work the piece is reputed to have been performed one movement at a time, with other works or movements of other works performed between them!

Probably my favorite, Karl Leister with the Vienna Quartet is wonderful, as is the mentioned Harold Wright. For a great example of a rendition with what could be called a more modern approach to clarinet playing, Anthony McGill with the Pacifica Quartet is great. The recording by the lesser known early 20th century Austrian clarinetist Leopold Wlach is wonderful for its very relaxed feeling and recommended….if you can find it.

Between @twoleftears ​​​​@frogman  my knowledge of the Clarinet has increased several fold.  Thank you both

The modern clarinet is usually thought of as having three registers, the chalumeau (with a more woody tone), the clarion (with a brighter tone), and the altissimo, which gets you into some serious harmonics.  The "octave key" (which isn't actually an octave, it's more, though it is an octave on the saxophone) on the underside of the instrument gets you from the chalumeau to the clarion.

Nice demo, thanks!

The “octave key”, also and more accurately referred to as register key overblows a 12th (one octave and a fifth).  This is a function of the fact that the clarinet has a tubular bore, as opposed to the saxophone’s conical bore . The saxophone’s bore (internal dimensions of the tube) is a cone, varying continuously from one end to the other.  The clarinet’s, except for the bell, does not.  

Of course we know that Hector Berlioz conceived the idea for the saxophone and then conveyed that idea to instrument make Adolphe Saxe.  Berlioz wanted the new instrument to be known as the "Berliozophone", but Saxe apparently had other ideas...