Would There be a Significant Difference

Over the past nine months I have acquired a new system, consisting of a NAD C568 CD player used as a transport, an iFi Zen Stream, a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC, a Rogue Audio RP-1 preamp, a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier, all feeding into Fyne F702 floor standing speakers and a Definitive Tech Supercube 6000 subwoofer.  All inter-connected with modest but decent cables and using modestly upgraded power cables and power conditioning.  The improvement over my previous NAD 356BEE driving a McIntosh MC2120 driving a pair of Infinity Modulus EMIT satellites and the same sub is simply astounding.  Great sound stage, instrument placement—imaging, clarity, and lack of noise.  I know that most of the improvement in what my old ear hear is due simply to the higher grade products I have, but I also wonder if some of what I like is attributable to the fact that the RP-1 is a tube preamp.

However, my “advisor” says I should really have a better preamp, one at roughly the same level as the Fyne speakers (the 700 is series made in Scotland, with multiple layers of plywood vs MDF) and the Benchmark power amp.  Should I choose to upgrade my preamp, I would like be able to use the XLR connections from DAC to preamp to amp for even a bit lower noise—more prevention than an issue.  Our house is very quiet.

I have looked at and researched preamps up to about $5500, and I have narrowed the choices down to the following preamps:

Benchmark LA4/HPA4

Rogue Audio RP-7

Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3

Bryston BP-17 Cubed

Parasound JCP2 BP

PS Audio BHK Signature—normally out of price range but on sale (2B replaced?)

Are there other models in this price range that I should consider? I will purchase a separate phono preamp as necessary.

So, my question is, if I spend the money for one of these preamps, ranging from about $2500 to $5500, will I notice a significant improvement in the sound quality? Secondarily, would folks recommend I stay with a tube model or go with one of the two SS models, the Benchmark or the Parasound?  

Fortunately, AudioAdvisor and Benchmark have audition provisions, which will allow me to listen to all but the Backert and the PS Audio.

Any and all advice and recommendations will be most welcome.  I would not want to spend several thousand dollars on an upgrade that brought only marginal improvements, but I am willing to spend it—the kids are long out of college with no debt—for a significant improvement.  I’m one of the types who thinks you can get 85% (or so) of the best quality for a fair bit less than 85% of the cost. 

Thanks to all for any input.

mike4597

+1 for a great sounding tubed preamp. Makes a huge difference on the whole system. I recommend a used Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, or VAC. Spend the maximum you can and extend with it being used. The companies I refer to build true audiophile preamps worth keeping for a lifetime… or a decade or two depending on your age. 

I have owned Audio Research preamps and phono-stages for decades now. Once they went into my system… I was done looking… I would only upgrade when I could afford it. They are natural sounding, detailed, with great midrange bloom and outstanding sound staging. 

I’ve used Tannoys almost all my grown-up audiophile life. You should be set with the Fynes! They look like great speakers. I agree you should explore upstream upgrades, as your Fynes can certainly reap the benefits.

I’ve used Rogue gear for many years. Honestly not a big fan of their RP preamp series. Haven’t heard the RP-1, but a guy I trust has said repeatedly that’s a weak spot in the line; there’s a big performance jump with RP-5. So you could jump to that or RP-7 and do quite well. But I’m also pretty confident a used Rogue Athena or Hera would spank any RP preamp. Those were their flagship preamps before RP series. I really preferred that older preamp line.

The ARC Reference 6 is quite phenomenal and would blow your mind. It’s out of your price range, but the 5SE may brush against your upper limit, and is worth a look too.

Hell yes, an extremely admirable and quality system you put together. 

If it’s only a preamp you need, any descent one will work great, 

check the,parasound  Z series, or the P3 or P5, all are great units 

he newly back together Adcom pre is nice looking, clean.

as far as xlr you may have to do a wee bit of investigating and,research.,… that is what I love to do, go to shops, talk to the car,sal,…I mean audio salesmen. 
check the AG see hear, if you,want tube pre,,Conrad Johnson makes some good stuff, and buying used you will get a great,deal, there is a used McCormack on AG,…think, good stuff. YEARS BACK I FOUND THE ONKYO P-308, for 150$, sent it to a good shop by me,new caps,and many other upgrades for 300$, the Onkyo p-308 is a stellar preamp, quiet,and will add some,warmth and depth to your music.

Keep checking AG, eBay be,careful, a lot of sheisters on flea bay. Have never bought from reverb, but they have nice stuff at times.

enjoy researching and the hunt/reading,reviews, etc, that is always my favorite pre purchase stuff to do, I read a ton of reviews, …ended up with a great,system!

Don’t rush, take your time and enjoy,  

An old company had a great preamp,.. audio source, people or the arrogant “I’m too good for audio source” the pre-1 lasted me,16 years, trouble free, sold it and opened my wallet for the b and k pro-10mc in mid 90’s 

anyway, enjoy the hunt, enjoy the music, take care of your amplifier, she is a keeper!

I noted a significant impact when I made my NAD C375BEE become an amp using a McIntosh C2600 tube preamp. 

I view the preamp on par with a source for impact.