Why Purchase A CD Player or Transport ?

I am 100% invested in vinyl, but want to improve my digital equipment chain.

Once I’ve upgraded my streaming equipment, why purchase a quality CD/SACD transport?

Is there a large enough subset of music that sounds better via optical media?

vonhelmholtz

No but I am buying compact discs on Amazon for $4.00

have a awesome transport and DAC and still enjoy my LP collection.

My streaming usually sounds better than CDs, or the same if in the same resolution. But Qobuz has half a million high resolution albums. I would take the money you were going to invest in a CD player and upgrade your streamer… or DAC… or preamp. Whatever your weakest link is. I am giving away all my CDs.

With a good streamer and DAC streaming can match or exceed the quality of vinyl.

Also. Once streaming is at a real audiophile level, and with millions of albums at your disposal… at least for me, the focus changed from laser focus on the very best recordings of a very few artists to a vastly expanding array of recordings and genera of music… something not sounding good… move on. There are thousands of incredibly well recorded, high resolution albums available. I also found all sorts of albums I did not know about from artists I love… no extra charge.

The more thoughtfully applied funds dedicated to as few components in your system the better it will sound… the more captivating, musical and rewarding. I recommend concentrate on the essential components. CDs are simply computer files on a optical disk… as opposed to located on a disk drive, server, or streamed. Don’t waste money on a optical disk reader and DAC in a box.

i got a $20 CD player and a host of hand-me-down DVD players. i run em thru a bad ass tube dac. sounds good. sometimes, for funzies, i run em thru a reverse RIAA into a tube phono. they sounds damn good that way too. bu straight into my preamp is a lil harsh. punchy as hell but harsh. 

Another +vote for CD/SACD players sounding Damn good. Mine do.

Happy Listening!

“Why go to a fine restaurant when you can just stick something in the microwave? Why go to the park and fly a kite, when you can just pop a pill?”

Cosmo Kramer