MoFi controversy

I see this hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I thought I'd put this out here.  Let me just say that I haven't yet joined the analog world, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

It was recently revealed that Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs one step LPs are being cut from digital masters (DSD) rather than being straight analog throughout the chain.

Here is one of the many Youtube videos that discusses it

To me, it seems that if MOFI is guilty of anything, it's "deception by omission."  That is, they were never open about the process and the use of digital in the chain. 

One thing to mention is that hardly anyone is criticizing the sound quality of these LPs, even after this revelation.  Me personally, I wouldn't spend over one hundred dollars for any recording regardless of the format.

ftran999

I suspected all along that MOFI were using a Digital step in the process simply because they WEREN'T plastering AAA stickers all over the outside of their product the way some other's were doing...Analogue Productions for one.

Dear @bdp24  : Yes you are rigth because in D2D there is no chance to editing or second take and the players play under heavy stress but not only that because you need engeenering/gentlemans that really have deep knowledge, skills and experience with that kind of demanding recording proccess for even they.

Analog Production/AcousticSound recorded a D2D series and I have to say that all samples are really a dissapointment against Sheffield/M&K experiences.

So not easy for any one to do it.

Now @alexberger  posted that who needs those One Step recordings when we can get the DSD direct version. We have to remember that any digital copy of PCM/DSD are and original master nothing less than that.

DSD and even 32/384 PCM recordings beats analog and nothing wrong with that due that every technology out there works inside its limits an pure analog can't do better today when digital " everyday " is growing-up.

R.

@rauliruegas Raul, you are using Jim Davis’ justification for using a DSD step in his ’supposedly’ all analog releases. Davis stated that he and MoFI thought that the DSD recording sounded better than the AAA tape. I have a hard time believing that, because there are clearly a number of other reasons that Davis would come up with that justification...cost, ease of use etc., Besides this is not the point here, even if Davis is correct, because the point is he was still making sure that MoFi and everybody connected to them was propagating a lie for years to their consumers...and I think we all know the reason why!

Exactly, @daveyf. It’s fine that MoFi decided they prefer DSD to analog, but they then shouldn’t have continued to claim they were cutting their LP’s from analog master tapes. That was, of course, a deliberate, intentional lie.

And by the way, Analogue Productions IS cutting from analog masters, and their LP’s in many cases sound better than MoFi’s (it is not hyperbole to say that the AP LP of Cat Stevens’ Tea For The Tillerman destroys the MoFi. It is also better than the original on UK Island. I've owned all three, now having only the AP.) . Same with a number of other audiophile reissue labels, including Speakers Corner, Intervention, and Craft.

Post removed