Storage of other speakers in the room, shorting them while not in use? Myth or true?

Hi ,I am about to bring another set of speakers to my audio room, I want to leave the unused ones I,m using right now  in the same room..  Is it true that to have them not interact with the acoustics of the room and with the speakers in use I should put them in short ( positive and negative connected ) the unused ones.  I have received that advice from two different audiophiles, one of them with experience in a pro recording studio. Is it real? or is it just a urban legend (aka BS)?

cardani

It is true! I used to be an audio gear salesman in a small room with 16 pair of speakers. When any set of speakers was playing all the other cones moved (just like your eardrums) and absorbed energy. I designed a switching arrangement that shorted out any speaker that wasn't selected. Of couse, it wasn't as good as shorting  at the actual speaker ternimals (the cable was still in the circuit). But it helped! Think about it. Every speaker is also a microphone. the cones vibrate with the air pressure changes in the room. Shorting the reduces their motion. Don't fail to notice that as their cones move, they also are producing  new vibrations! It's a nightmare! It's not a "dead" short since there are usually crossover networks between the terminals at the drivers and the connectors on the back of the box. But it's the best practical thing we can do.

Happy Listening!