For those of you who had spent over hundred thousand dollars for your sound system.

Do you think, in retrospect, that you could have gotten better sound quality out of your sound system with much less money spend. Do you have any regrets for spending huge amount of $$$? If you can start all over again, what would be different this time around? Let’s talk about electronics only and not room improvement for now. I know they go together, but the subject becomes very broad - assume your room is near perfect for sound reproduction.

P.S. Mike Levine, please don't shy away from the subject.  

128x128tannoy56

I don’t regret it at all. For me, it was money spent over the course of a number of years, and part of the audiophile “upgrade” process so to speak. In fact, it still goes on today. That’s what make this hobby a hobby for me. If I had spent the money all at once it might have not been as satisfied, and a hard pill to swallow  I think that’s the key. I’m glad I did it that way. 

I could have never gotten here without going on near fifty years experience at least listening to relatively high end systems. The building in earnest has taken place over last nearly thirty years. As with some others, I purchased much used components over the years, sold with little loss, incremental gains.

I can't see how you can gain  knowledge of what your sound preferences are without experience of having heard and/or built a number of systems over some years. I built systems with SS and less efficient speakers, push pull tubes with various power tubes, medium efficient speakers, and finally a variety of SET with extremely efficient speakers. I've had single driver, two way, three way, multi driver speakers, box, open baffle, horn speakers. I've had any number of turntables, belt drive and direct drive, many dacs. I've gone from cd's to streaming, with streaming being rather like building an entire system in itself. I've modded much equipment over the years, even learned how much individual parts can change sound quality.

I've gone from overly analytical to overly romantic systems. I've had systems both lacking and excelling  in various parameters of audiophile attributes.

All this costs time and money, I couldn't have done it any other way. The amazing thing is, while I'm still modifying and changing peripheral items in system, I could live with exact present system for the rest of my audiophile life. I've been experiencing completely satisfying performers in room experience for perhaps two year now, while some of the minor changes I've made in that time have been lateral or backward moves, listening sessions have remained totally satisfying. I consider I'm now in final phase of audiophile experience, the place where you've attained the goals you set so many years ago.

I have not spent huge $$ on my system. I have listened to systems costing far more and feel that mine sounds as good if not better. Yes, maybe I am prejudiced, but I know what my brain hears and how my emotions are affected by what’s coming out of my speakers. As much as I love my system, I have also enjoyed the journey of getting there. Learning from others has always been important to me. Doing research is time well spent. Finding GREAT deals on barely used gear is gratifying (my phono preamp/power supply was “used” but unopened in the factory boxes). Saving huge $$ on ultra high quality components like speaker cables and inter connects by making them yourself gives you a sense of pride knowing that big improvement in sound was partly your own doing (and you saved lots of money in the process). Yes, more expensive gear may sound better, but the law of diminishing returns applies. You get to a point where spending X times more does not get you X times better sound. Will I spend more in the future? Of course. But I’m sure it will be a lot of bang for the buck.

@sns @blisshifi @z32kerber Bravo! Thank you for sharing your gratifying journey with us. That’s what I call dedication. You are perfect example of "blue collar audiophiles" - yes, it is a compliment. My hat’s off to you.

Retail, my system is about $130K. However, I was able to buy several key components for a fraction-used or otherwise. Cash spent is about $45K.

After 51 years of systems-starting with a Pacific Stereo $199 package including a Lenco TT, Niko receiver and Quadreflex speakers. In my dorm room freshman year. There were many upgrades and changes over the years, but nothing very special by today’s standards. Even extending to recent years,

You might say that today’s system could be called my “Covid Kit”.

Retired now for 7 years, only in the last few years with travel restrictions, has my system grown to its current glory.

It all started with finding my beautiful Woodsong Garrard 301. That became the center pillar on which  the entire system was built.

Piece by piece, it took form to encompass what I consider my destination.

Recently “coming home” (after living joyfully with them for all of the ‘90s) to Quad 57s. Since amp matching is vital with Quads, I may change my amp. Other than that, I don’t anticipate and changes. 
Could I have gotten better sound for the money? Maybe. But good enough is good enough, And it certainly is far beyond anything I have ever known.