Speakers need to be placed close to back wall. Help

Hello all,

I want to buy my daughter and her husband a house-warming gift of a nice stereo. The problem is that the room they will probably want the stereo in simply won’t allow speakers to be place more than about 6-8" from the back wall. Any ideas of manufacturers and/or models that might work for them?

They listen to all kinds of music and I want to stay below 4K for used speakers.

Thanks in advance.

russ

Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler

Many horn speakers can be used up against walls since their radiation patterns are controlled. I use a pair with 4- 21-inch woofers in a near-field system up against walls in my office.

Thanks again to all who actually responded to my initial question!  I am located in Toledo, Ohio Tooth2th.  I won't be ready to buy until I get into the new house and run all the options by my daughter.  I'll get back to you as soon as I do if we aren't a continent apart.

I heard a system at the Pacific Audio Fest that delivered amazing performance for the money. It's a pair of small stand-mount active speakers from Vanatoo. They sell for $599 and are driven by a digital source (USB, spdif, or Bluetooth). They include a subwoofer output, but they sounded very nice without there sub connected. These easily embarrassed systems costing way more. 

Add a Bluesound Node and a pair of nice stands and you're in for about $1500. Add a nice sub or two if you want to spend a little more.