Has anyone had on of these CD players? How good are they?

Are the older Sony CD players very good? Even as just a transport paired with a good/great DAC?

CDP-X7ESD. CDP-507ESD or CDP-X707ES

Your thoughts?

128x1282psyop

I have mixed emotions about the common attitude that they will all wear out. Yes, in time all mechanical devices wear out, BUT how much time does it take for a CD Transport? Now, I have destroyed a number of Cassette players and they were NEVER made with any reliability. I even wore out a couple of Professional models. Now when considering something like a CD transport it is hard to say. I would much rather agree with one comment about the Laser burning up than the CD motor or its track bearings. At least when talking about a better quality unit. Another analogy I would make is my HEPPA Air Filter. It is a relatively inexpensive unit and its fan has been running for 4 years straight, and the only time it has been turned off was at the periodic filter changes and once recently where I totally disassembled it for cleaning. This fan has only cheap oilite bronze bearings and has not missed a tick. I would have to say, "How much do you trust the previous owner's word on how much wear the device has had? Was it in a smoking environment? What BRAND and Model is it and how much engineering went into the device? How OLD is it really? How much is the device being sold for and are you willing to buy lottery tickets? If you can't answer any of these questions I would say get a new unit.

I have a 608 ESD purchased new in 1989 that still works flawlessly.  I also have an X77 ES that I believe is circa 1992 which I purchased used some 20 years ago for $350 that is used primarily as a transport which also works flawlessly.  I also have the flagship X7ESD from 1989 which has developed an issue whereby the sound intermittently stops although it appears the laser is still operable as the track readout continues.  
I agree with bgross in regards to the sound quality of the 608 ESD.  It is still used as a stand alone player in a second system.

I appreciate the build and material quality of these players.  How long they ultimately last is any one’s guess.  Looks like I might find out unless I die first.

They were fantastic. I had a 507. But they are now quite old and repairs are nearly impossible, and so very risky to purchase for a main system. If you're putting together a vintage system, great.

I was given an old PS Audio transport with a drawer that wouldn't open. But I was familiar with the sled it used (9Pro) and replaced the teflon gear that gets chewed up over time on all of them. Just one of the adventures you can look forward to!

Have fun!

i've also had good experience with 90's era sony es cdps (i still use a 79es and used to have the 777es, which i never should have sold); even if the lasers (or more typically the belts) go bad, you can find replacements on ebay and the repairs are pretty simple.

If you can get it for say $300 CDN or less, go for it. If any more I'd definitely recommend the AudioLab 6000CDT. Not a lot of money (got mine used for $550 CDN) and its wonderful, and new/current. No built in DAC so transport only focused on power supply and simple uncluttered design for max sound quality. You want a transport so,,,,,,,,,