Solid state or Tubes preamp phono stage.

Need some help deciding which preamplifier to purchase. I am looking at hagerman audio trumpet and I have a great offer to buy musical fidelity m6x vinyl that is the same price of the hagerman trumpet.

bigmac1963

"This or that"-SS or tube threads never get far...

It a subjective thing determined by the listeners ears-pretty simple.

@bigmac1963 Here's something to try:

Put both preamps side by side. Do not use any loading on the cartridge other than the stock 47KOhms.

Use the same LP and listen to both. Does one of them seem to play more surface noise than the other or sound brighter? Don't get that one.

The surface noise is high frequency overload that manifests as ticks and pops. The brightness is distortion caused by high frequency overload.

FWIW its far easier to design a tube phono section that does not have this problem. With semiconductors the circuit you want to avoid overloading (the input) might be outside of the feedback loop.

I would like to thank blisshifi for your opinion and the information you gave me on choosing a amplifier. I decided to purchase the musical fidelity m6x vinyl I think it will be a good match with my turntable and cartridge thanks bigmac1963.

I would like to thank blisshifi for your opinion and the information you gave me on choosing a amplifier. I decided to purchase the musical fidelity m6x vinyl I think it will be a good match with my turntable and cartridge thanks bigmac1963.