Solid state or Tubes preamp phono stage.

Need some help deciding which preamplifier to purchase. I am looking at hagerman audio trumpet and I have a great offer to buy musical fidelity m6x vinyl that is the same price of the hagerman trumpet.

bigmac1963

Bliss, I wasn’t sure of your meaning. Your statement could have been taken either as a characteristic of the Trumpet or as a blanket characteristic of tube phono stages. Thank you for the clarification.

"The Hagerman Trumpet will provide the classic tube amp sound which is known to be colored and slightly rounded on top."

Really?

@yogiboy Again, "classic" is exactly what I meant. There are "classic" tube stage sounds and what Lew characterizes as "modern" stage sounds. "Classic" was NOT intended to pigeon-hole all tube stages to be colored and slightly rounded on top. This statement was specifically to classify the Hagerman.

The point remains; each of us has to spend the time listening to a variety of components in order to figure out for onesself what constitutes audio Nirvana.  A bunch of opinions from strangers might provide an idea where to start, at best. Sometimes that means you have to spend some money that may take you in the wrong direction.  That's why we have Audiogon and other marketplaces.

+1 lewm

I just get frustrated when I am trying to help and people misinterpret and assume that I am influencing decision-making in an illogical or biased manner (lewm, though thank you for acknowledging my clarification) or question my integrity (yogiboy).

I am not alone in classifying the Hagerman as a classic tube phono pre. From Fremer, whose experiences actually mirror mine (and Lewm we’ve already discussed how much I question Fremer!):

"Beyond the JFET input the Trumpet MC is a classic tube design that produced a classic tube sound, though it was also commendably quiet even being driven by low output MCs. So what’s “classic” tube sound? Start with a rich, full midrange that worked wonders on some thin, barren modern recordings and also did well with some older ones... This was a sonic presentation you could crank up to high SPLs and fully enjoy, though the lower-midbass was clearly slightly “thickened” and overall transients were slightly softened... Female voices didn’t fare quite as well, with the added midband “thickness” impeding lightness and flow on recordings that should produce that... Mitchell’s voice on both pressings had a slight but acceptable “chesty” quality when played back on my “big” front end (Mitchell’s voice “soared”), but it became excessive through the Trumpet MC."

Conclusion

The $1099 Hagerman Audio Trumpet MC offers big, warm “tube sound” in a compact, versatile package that can accommodate any MM or MC cartridge you choose to use it with. It will provide sufficient gain and low noise for even the lowest output cartridges and it will accommodate them all while producing quiet, hum-free backgrounds.

I’d advise pairing it with a lean or “analytical” cartridge and not with one that brings its own warmth to the table.

If you are looking for timbral neutrality and a light overall touch, the Trumpet MC might not be for you, though that depends on where your system’s sound is now and where you wish to take it..."