Has this happened to you? How can it be stopped?

Well this question is for fun but also kinda serious too.

Have you felt the urger to buy a vintage piece of audio gear when you really didn’t need it? Have you felt that this is an addiction and how can it be stopped?

I have Marantz 2235 receiver in my office, a Sansui 1000x in my bedroom, a Realistic STA-52b in my spare bedroom and Yamaha RX-V995 in my wifes sewing room and a Yamaha RX-V690 in the garage with various vintage speakers connected to all of them. I already have two complete audio systems in my audio room.

When does the madness stop? My wife tells me I have an audio problem!?!

128x1282psyop

@juanmanuelfangioii What makes you think I can’t form a proper sentence? What I said was correct. The way I usually characterize it is that I fired her for non-performance of contract.

Fact. Vintage amplifiers have a much great lifespan than the average marriage.

“Vintage” in audio is not the equivalent as “vintage” in fine wine. The former is just a synonym for “old”.

Sure … it’s a pure nostalgia thing …I don’t share in it (for me) personally for audio, but if it floats your boat accordingly… why not ? Carry on !

I’ve evolved and advanced in this wacky hobby since it’s Jurassic era days from the early 70’s. I had the cat’s ass / kick ass college dorm system of its time with its trademark “California Sound” with boosted treble and bass …( MARANTZ 2245 receiver, JBL L100 speakers, ELAC MIRACORD TT )

It sounded GREAT to me back then . But comparatively, even a modest integrated amp / standmount speakers/ digital or TT source of today will clearly smoke it in audio performance in any A-B bake-off.

But WTF ….nostalgia has its select cohort of fans.

I too enjoy certain “classic” cars and I tool around in my classic JAG ragtop roadster on a sunny day with the sun on my face, the wind in my hair, and the bugs in my teeth.

And yes .,.I am also wilfully agnostic to its performance limitations and age-era compromises when stacked up against current model high performance rides. Not even close…. Just some misspent youth redux of nostalgia.

I don’t object to growing “old” per se, but the side effects ….

Blisshifi

Even with my Marantz 2235? Will she need to get parts replaced... either one?

There are more destructive hobbies. I suggest you reflect about why you want to pursue this and if there are reasons beyond the adrenaline of chase or purchase that you just give into it. Develop routines in which you swap things in and out, listen to the differences, figure out what new sensations please you.

Look, no one criticizes the wine lover for wanting to try more wines, or the golf lover for wanting to play on new courses. You have nothing to be ashamed of. At all.