Chord DAVE DAC

Any owners who want to tell me more about it? I recently received an inheritance worth about 13k. I can shell out another 2 grand to get my end-game DAC with headphones. Or...maybe the wife and kids want their bathrooms renovated 

Please tell me how it sounds. I don't have a dealer close-by to audition. I just want "end-game" performance so I won't have to worry. I listen to mostly .flac and .wav files with some .mp3s (320 kbps) in the mix. Only because it was hard to get those albums so I downloaded mp3s and saved money.

- Jack

jackhifiguy

In these forums (and just about any other forum on the internet), most times discussions revolve around inquiries and perspectives. When done well, those perspectives surface values, which can be helpful to learning how those values can be fulfilled, especially if the community is empathetic to them. The unfortunate thing is that everybody’s values are different, AND not everyone is empathetic to each others’ values. If we could all just be more empathetic to each other and not force our opinions on others, online communities would be much healthier places (mentally).

That said, I’ve been in the boat to have made to feel like how jjss49 and charles1dad have by many (meaning I support both of your posts), mostly because I am spending more on my gear than others or spend more time dialing things in. But in truth, I have never regretted any of my big purchases or effort because they have yielded more than satisfactory results. The purchase themselves and the marketing hype is not what drives the validation, but the comparison to many others’ systems and rooms to mine, as well as the personal satisfaction I get from listening and being transported and the way it makes me feel makes the whole journey worthwhile.

Has anyone compared the DAC in a Chord DAVE to one in a high-end streamer like an Esoteric N-01XD?

I want the DAC to be accurate. Just want to hear the music the way it was recorded.

Not sure what this means. The music was recorded using specific mics, in a specific room using a specific Analog to digital device, then played back over specific speakers (or headphones) and mixed accordingly, and then it was mixed again with certain kinds of output devices in mind (compression, perhaps).

In other words, you may be after something you will enjoy, but how you get back to some Ur-recording is mystifying. To hear it "the way they heard it" at the very least means being in their listening room (mixing studio), in their chair, with their speakers and playback system. Other than that, it’s all gavagai -- a translation.

But measurements don’t tell the entire story...so subjective opinions and objective reviews from professionals are necessary.

Subjective opinions are valuable if… their tastes are similar, their rooms are similar, their equipment is similar, their recordings are similar. Virtually no one goes to any trouble at all to verify these things. We just have people saying, "This DAC is analytical" or "This amp is smooth" and then others — with a completely different setup and tastes (maybe) then chime in and either agree or disagree.

@yogi42 I admit my DAC is the most expensive component in my system:

Amp $6K

Streamer $5k

Speakers $9K

DAC     $13K

That is on purpose.  The DAC is where the most important stuff happens.  ASR thinks they can measure some parameter and characterize a dac with a number.   conversion from Digital to analog is like translating a language.  Write me an algoritm to measure the accent of a German text translated to Swahili?  

So I listened to a lot of DACs and bought the best one.  

I started with my speakers, went through about 5 amps, and 3 streamers.  

I guess I got to the right DAC after 4.

Jerry