MM, MC, or MI cartridge

Can somebody briefly describe the difference in the sonic characteristics of these types of cartridge, if possible?

I’ve never had a MC and I’m wondering what difference it would make.

128x128rvpiano

The most reliable thing for me is whether I drift off and choose to do other things rather than listen to music. When I've got something right I can't wait to get home and turn on the system and play some music.

@newbee 

Ok, that is just sad… a personal problem. Once you get a piece of equipment that sounds great… time to relax and really enjoy it.

Over the decades, I actually realized that that “analytical” mode wasn’t useful for more than a few minutes while auditioning… and that just listening to the music… to see if you get engaged with it, is the best way to evaluate it.

Then when you have brought your new better system and advanced to the new greater level of performance, enjoy it for many years before going for another upgrade. 

“…just listening to the music… to see if you get engaged with it, is the best way to evaluate it.”

Exactly the ideal.

I’m doing my best to follow that ideal.

A word on the cartridge, though.
After about 30 hours, It really shines in vocals, small ensembles and especially jazz. It still hasn’t really opened up with orchestral recordings. I’m hoping after 50 hours or so it will.

@rvpiano 

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your new cart. I can’t praise enough about its gorgeous presentation for not whole lot of money.