Etheregen - doesn't seem right that it gets so hot, dangerous? Unpredictable?

This network device as glorious as it may be gets extremely hot, almost burning to the touch. Something doesn't seem right about that.

Is there a good alternative to using this thing, it was about $600 which isn't cheap. Optical connectivity which I like seems to be a good thing.

Frankly I'm not sure what the value is it with it vs something else that may be operationally more healthy to use.  So I disconnected it because the heat level seems kind of dangerous.  I have no confidence that it will Control itself and get absolutely and dangerously too hot in the future.

jumia

I'm using the After Dark power supply that also powers the After Dark clock, and though I can say my Ether Regen is warm I would not classify it as hot. I can keep my hand on top of it without any discomfort.

ozzy

I appreciate folks bringing this up. I had forgotten how warm it was and noticed my unit had fallen onto the carpet. So, I retired it to stay on the shelf.

I was quite surprised to see how low a temperature can cause skin burns. Having lived in Tucson a dealt with seat belt buckles and steering wheels. But on a note, one source points out to sustain a real burn a couple minutes of contact is required at 125. Thirty seconds at 130. But still much lower than I would have guessed. 

The topic of the ER running hot has been addressed over and over on the internet and the website, audiophilestyle, by users and the designer John Swenson. I'd recommend that you take a look at the website.

I have had an ER for nearing three years and wouldn't want to be without it. It sits under a desk and I use a fan same as @vinylvalet uses. It does the trick.

I have noticed my Etheregen was running a little too warm for my comfort as well. A simple heatsink applied to the top of the unit with thermal tape worked out better than I would have originally thought. A nice bonus-my unit is now heavier and lays still, thus making it less inclined to spring forth off my table due to those unbending Supra ethernet "Launchers"(CAT-6 cables).

Get a 5 port netgear, tplink or linksys and forget it. I've been using a netgear for years inside a cabinet and can handle it whenever I want. Worrying about switches in home networking is straining at a gnat.