Is there a strategy in preamp tube placement?

My SLP-98 has a gain stage and a buffer stage, both with 6SN7 tubes. Do seasoned tube rollers look for different sound characteristics to occupy each position? ex. A tube with good tone and texture in the gain position and a tube with good dimensionality in the buffer stage, or do they use the same tube at both positions? Or is this process truly random?

128x128coachpoconnor

I settled on the KR Black Glass VT 231, as the best attractor for myself.

I then learned of certain individuals making claims the Linlai E 6SN7 with approx’ 100 Hours usage life has compared favourably to the KR VT 231. The reports being made on these Tubes are generally good and have got my attention.

@pindac , the Linlai Global Elite E-6SN7 are the tubes being praised and compared to Ken Rad VT-231. Available only through Linlai factory direct and Grant Fidelity.

The E-6SN7 available on Ebay are intended for the Chinese market. The Global Elite are for export to the US.

The Thread that caught my attention, which has now expended quite considerably with posts since first discovered, is in the link.

Audiogon Discussion Forum

@pindac 

I was one of the early buyers of Linlai's 6SN7. Due to a lack of information at the time, I purchased E-6SN7's from an Ebay dealer. I was very active on that thread as members learned that there were indeed two different 6SN7 types (as stated on the Linlai website). As the tubes burned in, it sounded like they may live up to the hype. But after 100 hours they sounded dull and lacked the realism that the Grant Fidelity tube users were reporting. 

If I knew then what I know now, I would have paid the higher price of the Global Elite with the vertical Linlai logo on the glass.

Lowrider57, On tubes most of the time you get what you paid for, I agree with you, after paying premium price for my globe 6sn7 at Grant Fidelity , it made me realize what a high quality tube is all about.Though I did have luck buying tubes from Chinese 6sn7 dealers o  Pavanedirect and HiFi ...