MM, MC, or MI cartridge

Can somebody briefly describe the difference in the sonic characteristics of these types of cartridge, if possible?

I’ve never had a MC and I’m wondering what difference it would make.

128x128rvpiano

aewarren,

I have a Sutherland 20/20 phono preamp.
It’s equipped for the job.

+1 @dynamiclinearity 

Tonearm and phono preamp both make or break it with carts in general but lomc in particular...

@rauliruegas - I believe I have a very different understanding of compliance than you. Firstly, compliance as I understand it is largely measurement of vertical suspension. I have several low compliance mono cartridges and I am accustom to dealing with the math there. The advantages offered by MC’s are because of the lower mass on the end of the cantilever. Mass affects all movement and with stereo cartridges, reading information at a 45 degree angle so to speak, this matters Tracking is a test associated with resonant requencied. You could use tracking to verify basic setup, but I don’t think the makeup of MC ever claimed they track better than MM’s. The sudleties afforded by lower mass do not necessary reveal themselves in tracking tests. Tracking test and comparing the compliance of the cartridge against the mass of the arm and trying to force a bad resonance. Again, there are formulas to avoid this, but I do t believe it has anything to do with he benefits of MC’s. 

nobody has mentioned the bid drawback of MC’s. They are one and done. Most MM’s can, sometimes very easily, have their stylus replaced. This is because the magnet and pick up are separate. Finally, several carts (Grado / Soundsmith) produce MM near or some say better than their MC content parts. 

@rvpiano...Well, sounds like you're good to go your way. :)

Owned both varieties, liked most for reasons already stated. *G*

Go forth and play.....

Happy wknd, y'all.

Well, I now have no choice but to buy a new cartridge. 
I stupidly accidentally bent the stylus on my current Clearaudio Virtuoso.