hearing loss and amp choices

Found out yesterday that I have about 25-30% hearing loss in the right ear. Anything around 4000 hz and I display a sharp drop.

Currently looking for a new integrated such as the Vsi75, Sim Audio 700 series, Pass int 25, Belles Aria Sig and my distributor recommended the Rotel RA 6000 series which they are about to carry this  month.

The speakers are the very neutral and flat Studio 100's by ProAc.

My question revolves around the fact of hearing loss vs. expense for SQ. In other words what am i doing to be looking at a 10 or 16 thousand dollar int if my hearing won't appreciate it?

Do I look for something more articulated like the Rotel? Can I appreciate the nuances of tube gear with their richness?

Had Primare stuff (I-30) prior to this but it blew during a power surge and to tell the truth, thought the sound was a bit sterile with this series with little mid bass weight. Now I wonder if all this doesn't matter and should be looking for something with articulation that previously may have thought as "cold".

Just exploring what some of you may have experienced with any hearing loss in regard to previously perceived perceptions to SQ.

arro222

Well that amp is going to sound great, hearing loss or not. Great choice. I have a Line Magnetic and can never go back to SS. Long live Vacuum tubes! Congratulations!

About hearing aids I have the Widex Moment 440 and it's amazing, very happy!

Go to a great, not good, but great audiologist, get a hearing test, and buy the top of the line Phonax hearing aid for the impaired ear.  They come with 3 band tone and volume controls plus options I’ve not even tried.  Huge difference.  It’s not the gear, it’s your ear.  I’ve suffered from Ménière’s disease since 2002 and now am down 70% in my left ear.  The Phonax allows me to enjoy my system.  I also installed a Schitt 4 band EQ unit which can boost the frequencies you are missing. Plus my line stage pre has separate volume controls for each side which helps me make further  adjustments.  My amp is a Pass X250.8, the pre is a First Sound with dual mono volume controls and dual external power supplies. 

OP,

Congratulations. As I mentioned earlier, I love this amp. Hopefully you will as well. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Two things:

(1) I think the comments about EQ are right on.  Consider some of the digital EQ you can get from Roon or similar. You don't have to put it through a box with lots of levers if you don't want to.

(2) Subwoofers - especially a good REL - will help add depth and dare I say warmth to the sound.  Some visceral thump is useful to re-enhance the experience.

Happy listening and good luck!