Thoughts on the Linn LP12 turntable

I don’t see many discussions that include the Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and was wondering why? They’ve been around since the late 70’s and other then power supply and a few other minor changes (IMO) are relatively unchanged. I had one in the early 80’s and another in the late 90’s. They are somewhat finicky to get setup correct and once you do, they sound great. That being said I know there have been a lot better designs to come out since the LP12’s hey-day. Are they worth considering  anymore or has the LP12 just become another audio vintage collectors item?

markcooperstein

As usual the typical naysayers are swinging for the fences..

The current LP12 Klimax model had a good review recently by Herb Reichert in Stereophile. Herb compared it favorably to his Dr.Feickert and others and seemed to feel it was still at the upper echelon of performance!

What one has to consider when reading the posts from the usual suspects is this...when was the last time any of these boys actually owned the LP12 ( if ever!). The answer in almost all cases is either never--or decades ago, or they still own their 70's vintage model and cannot comprehend why it doesn't compete with the current versions! LOL.

Still have my Linn Axis which is a lp12 for dummies on a budget since 1987.   Love it!  Dread the day when I might finally have to replace it. 

Mapman, I am in the same place-have my beloved Linn Axis with basic plus since 1987. Never any problems and have yet to here a turntable in under 3 grand that beats it!

I had an LP12 for about 22 years with all available upgrades.  When the Keel was introduced, I demoed a similarly speced LP12 with Keel against an SME 20.  I much preferred the SME, which I have happily owned for 16 years without any upgrades.  I would never go back to a Linn, especially at today’s prices.

A relic from one who's a proponent of well thought out spring suspension tts.