Thoughts on the Linn LP12 turntable

I don’t see many discussions that include the Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and was wondering why? They’ve been around since the late 70’s and other then power supply and a few other minor changes (IMO) are relatively unchanged. I had one in the early 80’s and another in the late 90’s. They are somewhat finicky to get setup correct and once you do, they sound great. That being said I know there have been a lot better designs to come out since the LP12’s hey-day. Are they worth considering  anymore or has the LP12 just become another audio vintage collectors item?

markcooperstein

Just looked up the Klimax LP12 is $30,150 ! Are U F-ing kidding me! I'd take a DC motor Kuzma Stabi R with 4POINT arm and still have over 10k left for a cartridge. 

A friend just recently returned from Michigan with his LP12 after having Tom O’Keefe install a new bearing in a new wenge plinth, then professionally setup and listened to.

I was asking him about that. He expressed that concern and in the end things seemed to have worked out nicely.

The LP 12 is a relic of the past. There was a time when it was the best sounding table at a reasonable price. It was always a PITA. I owned two of them but it was always a love hate relationship. I got my first Sota in 1981 and never looked back. There are so many suspended tables that do it right now the Linn is not even worth a look. Used ones are popular on the market. People buy them and get going with the endless Linn upgrade program and think that turns them into something special. You can not turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. It is an antiquated design any way you look at it and it needs to get thrown out with the bath water.