Thoughts on the Linn LP12 turntable

I don’t see many discussions that include the Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and was wondering why? They’ve been around since the late 70’s and other then power supply and a few other minor changes (IMO) are relatively unchanged. I had one in the early 80’s and another in the late 90’s. They are somewhat finicky to get setup correct and once you do, they sound great. That being said I know there have been a lot better designs to come out since the LP12’s hey-day. Are they worth considering  anymore or has the LP12 just become another audio vintage collectors item?

markcooperstein

I usually refer to a Belt Drive Turntable I have owned for over approx' twenty five years and not used much for over twenty years, where it was superseded in use by other non Belt Drive TT's.

Occasionally the Belt Drive has a spin, as a reminder of what a Old Belt Drive design can do in comparison to a Old Idler and Old Direct Drive.

The Old Belt Drive does not encourage much to be done with it other than put back to its resting place. Where as each of the other Drives have been very successful at encouraging a furthering of their capabilities of performance.

The Old Belt Drive is a Linn.     

Just looked up the Klimax LP12 is $30,150 ! Are U F-ing kidding me! I'd take a DC motor Kuzma Stabi R with 4POINT arm and still have over 10k left for a cartridge. 

A friend just recently returned from Michigan with his LP12 after having Tom O’Keefe install a new bearing in a new wenge plinth, then professionally setup and listened to.

I was asking him about that. He expressed that concern and in the end things seemed to have worked out nicely.