Speakers known for great midrange.

I’m looking for a pair of stand mount speakers with great midrange. Smooth,and syrupy. Powering them with Pass INT-25. Any suggestions are appreciated.

128x128travisg

I love my Harbeths and also have KEF Ref 1 which have very good midrange and incredible imaging.

A friend completely re-did his system recently and has a pair of the Joseph Audio Pulsar2 Graphene speakers with a Pass Int-60.  I'm a little jealous of his system.  Not only does it have great midrange, but spectacular imaging and the combination is incredibly "fast".  When a note stops, it stops.  When there's a space between notes, it's black.  Pitch black.  Black hole black.  Hard to describe, but once you hear it, you can't un-hear it.

Spendor 1/2s without a doubt...insanely musical and "right" sounding. That's why I own 2 pair and will never ever sell them.

+1 for HARBETH

Sample reviews of the 30.2XD

THE LISTENING

Harbeth’s Monitor M30.2 XD is a loudspeaker with a very easy listening feel; there’s some gentle midrange warmth that seems to add to rather than diminish the sonic experience. Still, it’s pretty transparent all the same, meaning that it favours good recordings where it stays out of the way more than you might expect. It certainly doesn’t sugarcoat bad recordings, that’s for sure. In addition to this, the Harbeth shows real musicality; it accurately handles rhythms and dynamics, whilst never shouting at the listener…. I heard outstanding midrange clarity and excellent smooth integration with the treble, producing realistic tones.

The new version of Alan Shaw’s Harbeth Monitor 30.1...is the best compact two-way speaker system I have ever heard, regardless of design type, cost, or complexity. The Monitor 30.1 is a constant joy and pleasure to listen to, consummately natural, unbelievably beautiful."

- Paul Seydor, theabsolutesound.com

@big_greg 

I'm also wondering whether metal drivers are finally coming of age.

As you say, it's difficult to describe the sound, but words like precise and clean come to mind.