New PrimaLuna versus used Audio Research preamp?

As posted previously, I'm shopping tube preamps.

Have an opportunity to buy a friend's ARC Reference 5SE, as he upgraded to a new 6SE.

Alternatively, a new PL EVO 300 or 400 is also on my radar, and even new would cost 20% to 30% less than the used 5SE.

Anyone here experience both units and brands?

Thanks!

bobbydd

I have > 5K trouble free hours of blissful listening on my Ref 5se. Some PL experience but not ownership. In another thread, i am a self admitted fan boy cult member…ha. One could accurately say i fall into that camp with ARC preamps… but i have also had on long term loan a few other excellent preamps..notably Ayre R series, VTL, Lamm, ….

I think an inside track on a well cared for known REF5se is worth something…

On the 5se, budget or plan for a 6550 in the power supply every 1k hours and 2-3x that for the 5 small signal tubes. Just FYI.

ARC REF5 SE is a no brainer, If you can source some genuine pre 1990 Reflector Corps 6h30- DR’s and GEC 6550A for the regulator you will take the units musical performance up another level.

@bobbydd 

I looked at your posted audio system and it is very nice. I am quite familiar with the ARC Reference 2 MK II and the Reference 5SE is a considerable improvement in my opinion. I have read very good comments/reviews in regard to the PL EVO 400 preamp (But I have not heard it). Given the components in your current system, the REF 5SE seems the better fit.

Charles

Iam also looking for a reference AUdio Research preamp, Iam using LS2b audio research linestage , on one of my systems, it always amaze me, though maybe a 17se is good enough for my main system. Charles I agree with you.