Audio Research, AYON and Primaluna tube amplifiers.

Hello Agoners,

May I ask how would these 3 companies stand out from each others?

Can we rank them as for:

1. Sound quality

2. Performance

3. Reliable

4. Reputation.

5. Service and support

6. Resell value.

I’m still very new to tube amps and only had Cayin A-88T and VTL ST-150 in the past.

128x128nasaman

Of the three, Audio Research would be my pick as best of the group.

I have owned the best of Audio Research and they would not be my first pick in the overall market

Primaluna EVO 400 and Premiun Dialogue HP are in same league as Quicksilver V4 and Mono 120. All point to point wired and better value and reliability than ARC. Owned/Own all three.... Amps not integrated amp. VonSchweikert and Totem Speakers. Audible Illusions and First Sound Pre-amps. Just my opinion.. have Fun!

Two years ago I upgraded from a Wyred4Sound STI-500 v2 to an Ayon Triton III Gen 4 with KT150s to power my JM Labs Mezzo Utopias. This was a huge upgrade in sound quality and sound stage.

I got to directly compare the Triton with an Audio Research VT80se. While the VT80se had a gorgeous sound, it was beaten (obviously) by the Triton in the power department. The Triton has all the detail, warmth, and loveliness of the ARC with soooooo much more power.

I then added an Audio Research Ref 6 preamp. The soundstage bloomed and became much larger than the actual listening area. The detail was incredible, though the high end could be a bit harsh at times.

The next step was to replace a Wyred4Sound essential music server and DAC 2 DSDse with an Ayon s-10ii signature. This was the upgrade that seemed the most tangible to date. The soundstage extended further in every direction, the bass intensified, detail increased, instruments became more separated, and much of the occasional harshness in the high end was rounded off. Wow. So many wows.

I loved the sound though was forced on the path of wondering how an Ayon Auris ii would affect the sound. Would there be some special kind of brand synergy with 3 components from the same brand?

Two months ago I found a great deal on an Auris ii that had been used at trade show and jumped on it. The changes were not subtle. The soundstage shrunk, seemingly like 15 feet. Though smaller, the sound seemed more dense. The midbass slam went through the roof. Guitars, violins, voices, everything seems more intense. Any harshness in the high end has totally gone away.

I’m only a couple hundred hours into the break-in process and I’m really hoping the soundstage will open up. If the Auris’s soundstage comes anywhere near the Ref 6’s, it will be a clear winner, no contest. If it doesn’t, I don’t know. The Ref 6 soundstage is so special.

I’m pretty sure I’ll hang on to the Ref 6. I wonder if the upgrade from the 6 to the 6se would add the same qualities as the Auris ii while maintaining the soundstage. The person I spoke with at ARC claimed that not only should the upgrade to the se provide that oomph I was looking for, but that it would also show a marked increase in sounstage Big claims. I’ll hopefully find out some day.

Tl;dr - Ayon is superb. So is Audio Research. I have no experience with Prima Luna.