will the day come when?

Do my fellow Audiogoners think there will come a day when we won't even be able to give our CDs away, because they will be considered an inferior audio product compared too?
schipo
Excellent Elizabeth - a truly cheery outlook. It perhaps will finally be the brave new world so with a steady ration of soma I am not sure I will care.

To Pardales point - an interesting experiment has begun. EMI has relaxed the DRM rules on the iTune store. For a modest premium you can download your song in higher quality with fewer restrictions on its use. The million dollar question in my mind is 1) what percentage of total downloads will be in the better. freer format and 2) will people be paying for the increased flexibility or the improved quality...
I won't hazard a guess as to when CDs will completely disappear (probably never) but I do expect them to give way to electronic distribution. We're almost ready to see movies distributed this way but network bandwidth is restricting that market right now.

Here's what I WISH would happen with music distribution and this assumes we can overcome the DRM issues. Music labels could store the originals in a suitable hi rez format and allow buyers to pick the format and resolution they wanted to download. The product could then be sent in full resolution or converted and downsampled on the fly to the selected format and resolution. The fly in this ointment (so to speak) is what will be the incentive for labels to put the time into producing well recorded product if most buyers are downloading at a resolution that won't show the advantage of the extra time and effort.

I must admit that the Sonos controller looks really cool and intrigues me. I get really tired of putting on glasses so I can squint at the track list (usually printed in gray on black or some other idiotic combination) on a new CD to figure out what song is playing. They're also going to have to figure out how to distribute albums that have no gaps between tracks (e.g., live albums and some classical) - that's very irritating (at least to me). EAC-type image rips to wav with associated .cue files are one way to get around this.

Note that I see this as different than the change from vinyl to CD. That was a fundamental change in the way that music was recorded and the carrier that it was distributed on. The change from CD/SACD/DVD-A to hard drive is much less dramatic. Essentially the data stays the same, it's just distributed differently.

Note also that I still listen to LPs and don't expect this will change. Whether I rip my CDs and switch to electronic distribution will probably be determined by whether the industry can overcome the shortcomings I mentioned above.

Dick
I wonder about the cd question all the time.

Even the CD format now isn’t used to its fullest extent. I listen to a lot of reggae on cd and 99% of the CDs sound like garbage compared to something like Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Fox Trot (from a recording and production stand point). Most of the CDs in my collection have large variations in their sound quality. Until all popular music it being recorded in a fashion that is fully utilizing the technologies that is already available I don’t think there is any sense in even considering changing from CDs.

As far as every thing going to the internet, that is doubtful there are still a lot of people without broad band , cable modem etc. and without that you cant be buying music online.
So lets all look back and see how long it will take for the last hold out company to stop making cd players. I personally give it less than 10yrs.
Somewhere in Las Vegas Nevada, I am told there is a small factory which presses new vinyl. I sure in the future someone will provide a wide range digitally formated disc, for a price. The internet makes it easy for companies to reach a small niche market. Heck look at vinyl, without the internet it would still be in the back of a few specialty magazines.