Michael Fremer leaves Analog Planet

I'm not sure who I can trust anymore.....

128x128j-wall

I knew several reviewers back in the 90s, and Mikey was one of them.  Let me say about him, his ears weren't what you'd think they were back then, and I doubt they got any better with time.  Yes, he kept the torch lit for analog and deserves credit there, but I don't trust his reviews.

Reviewing is a business.  Enough said.

@mijostyn I agree with much of hat you wrote - that said don't envy him.

I take his reviews with a jar of salt ever sincee his 'about turn' on the whest 0.2 review hen he first said it was superior to his mate Eva Manley Steelhead - and then retracted the review.

he's useful for informing you about what is out there - but given his reviewing job, shows, setting up for record bosses - i don't kno how he ever listens to any music...

As a Stereophile subscriber, I am glad to hear this. The magazine needs to feature younger reviewers with fresher perspectives and better ears. I myself am close to the age of MF and strongly suspect his hearing has diminished significantly over the decades he has been reviewing audio equipment.

Maybe someone could explain to me why this reviewer ( Fremer) has such a fan base? While many of us would agree with his points on occasion, his attitude to folks who disagree with him, or call into question his ’expert status’, leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.