Line Array VS Traditional Box Speakers, Why not just get the line array ?

I am sure this question has been posed many times over but I am curious as to response from the current active crew here.   Since I attend live music on pretty much a weekly basis for the most part I always come away with the same.  I actually need that line array at home thought.  Even if its not the band but the music between sets , I still need that line array.

We all spend good money on trying to recreate the live sound at home.  Why not use the same pro gear that bands do, DJs, Clubs etc...for a fraction of the cost of some of the crazy systems you guys have.  I have heard systems that cost ungodly amounts of money and no home system at any amount of investment that I have heard truly sounds like the real deal.  Some folks spend stupid money on AMPs, cables speakers and the sound is amazing but again it doesnt sound like it really does live.   For a fraction of the cost you  can get you the real pro AV sound.  

I look forward to the responses as I know a bunch of the cats on here are musicians as well.

128x128searchingforthesound

Most of the live shows I hear sound worse than what I have at home, and it's not a line array.

Unless it's an acoustic show.

As for the "live sound" would that be front row, middle row, back? Balcony? What are you searching for to count as "live"? I ask because the sound varies a lot depending on where my seat actually is.

@searchingforthesound   You have a legit question. The live concert sound of professional line arrays is very compelling. It's mostly midrange frequencies at very high sound levels. In the home environment they just aren't accurate enough to flesh out the details you will want to hear. Pro drivers are designed to be robust before any other consideration. For the home a horn speaker is what you might want to hear.  A pair of Klipsch Fortes or stacked LaScalas with a nice tube amp will give you everything you need and quite a bit more. 

It’s a good question.  

The acoustic science behind Line Arrays is significant.  They are designed to project high volumes a long way.  There is a reason they’re used in large facilities - because it’s very difficult to get full volume to the back of a large venue/arena without adding side fills or back fills - which then have to be on delays so the sound arrives in back from all sources somewhat evenly. Roughly speaking, line arrays are built such that the amplitude of the sound wave is multiplied because of the specific proximity of the drivers to one another.  But, this comes at a significant cost in other areas.  They’re inherently narrow dispersion (hence the ability to push sound a long way) and they have a LOT of phase cancellation issues - particularly when run in stereo.  (Most live concerts are run mono - not stereo).  If you were able to walk around a venue while a crew is doing a sound check, you would hear the sound materially change moving just a few seats.  Of course, you could tune your array for the sweet spot in your living room.

And, as @russ69 points out, pro speakers are built to play loudly - not accurately. There’s an adage: you can have loud, full range, accurate, or reasonably priced. Pick two.

The cabinets are designed to take the beatings of load in/load out on a daily basis. But, they have to be moveable too.  So, the cabinets are simple felt covered plywood boxes which vibrate (and therefore speak) like crazy. 

But, there is a way to get what you want for home use. Look at JBLs, Klipsch or any number of companies that make speakers for both uses (pro and consumer) as there is some commonality to their house sound, dynamic range, etc.  They’ll give you that “jump” factor.

Best,

Thanks for the chatter.   

here are some responses.  I have probably been to over 1000 live shows not counting bar and bar bands.  Thats thousands more.  Jazz,  Blues, reggae, New Wave, Punk, Fusion, Classic Rock, Singer Songwriter stuff, Zydeco and more.  I typically sit in first 10 rows but have sat all over arenas, stadiums , clubs, amphitheaters etc... I know the sound is different throughout the venue.  I will never sit under an overhang in the back of a theater for that reason.  Last night I saw Samantha Fish, Devon Allman and Dirty Dozen Brass band.  Samanthas mix was horrible from the 5th row but soften out back towards the middle.  Bass was overpowering vocals no matter where you were though.   This is why I posed this question today.  I was like man i need a line array at home ! Again!

Klipsch answer, I already own Forte IVs a few tube amps a Marantz SS and a pair of Tektons plus a bunch of other speakers .  Some classic NHTs that kill in my home theater set up.  So  I know that well.

I do not actually like blaring midrange so the description of loudness and jacked MIds do not fit what I hear live.  I have seen acoustic shows, and jazz shows etc... not at loud volumes even Acapella groups and still I say home speakers do not get there. 

Why not build a small  array for the home to get some of that live sound?  I guess there is a reason no one has.  

Maybe in the end since I have seen so many live performances and played myself for many years iI cannot hear anyway.  HAHA!  

Thanks for the feedback looking forward to others