Spendor D9.2 Run In

Just got new Spendor D9.2's, primarily because of the well regarded midrange, and wanted to know how long the run-in will take based on experience.  I generally don't play them loud, but when I do they seem to blare.  A bit concerning.  Also when played at moderate levels the mids sound tuned high.  What is the deal?  Thanks

alphonsodamato

I’ve owned speakers with so much midrange presence that they would make my ears ring even at low volumes. The trend towards making everything sound “live” can sometimes come with punishment on all but the best of recordings or extremely well selected gear. The D7 didn’t hurt my ears with the Cs600 or the Coda CSIB. Interesting about the Volti mids. I tried the Cornwall 4 and found the mids pretty much to my liking but not as refined as I wanted. Try to hear a pair of Verity speakers they play well with a wide range of amps.

They may not ultimately be the speaker for you but it is too early too tell.  my D7 Spendors took at least 200 solid hours for the bass to become pronounced and the treble to smooth out.  

the bass has to bloom as one way to balance the mids and highs and you do this by flexing and working the woofers with bass heavy material at higher volume for 48 hours just like breaking in a subwoofer-  see RELs subwoofer break in process.  

thom yorke and atoms for peace is an excellent break in cd.  

in the mean time there are things you can do to help- 

make sure they have plenty of space around them including away from any screens or big surfaces that can reflect midrange outward.  

try setting the toe angle so they aim at a spot a few feet in front of you, the off axis response tapers off the upper mids and above. 

try tube rolling to offset the highs, the stock mac jjs can have a bright top.  

definitely avoid or replace any hybrid silver copper or silver speaker and interconnects.  go for high quality copper, ohno or occ, the kimber 8pr speaker cables are excellent for warming the midrange and smoothing highs.  

big picture i am sorry that I eventually sold the D7s.  they did some things better than most speakers including incredibly deep bass from the transmission line port, excellent detail and imaging and through the ceiling micro dynamics and speed that gives music a realistic sense.  also very efficient and easy to play loudly.  the things they do well are difficult to find in other speakers.  

I have owned these D9.2s for over a month now.  Spendor told me to crank them out of phase a few inches apart for 48 hours.  Can't do that, who can?  But over the last month I have been leaving the house for hour long dog walks and I leave them CRANKED.  Lotta Raggae mostly to exercise the low end too.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE.  I now appreciate the details, and the harshness has subsided.  Did it go away or did get used to it?  I can't say.  My internal oscilloscope may not be that accurate,  All I know is I here details I have not heard and I do not find these speakers at all fatiguing, anymore.  I'm starting to think Spendor's claims of midrange brilliance may be... correct.  So on we go, enjoying the journey.

Mechanical breakin in speakers is a must imho.Some of the most bass heavy stuff i got barely move rubber on my atc 19...good to hear AD.

That’s what we all told you, based on our own ownership experience, would happen once they broke in ; )