I'm at the pearly gates and they tell me I can only bring in one jazz cd

Prez and Teddy (Lester Young and Teddy Wilson). To my fellow jazz fans if you've never checked this out do so. I play it again...and again...and.......

scottya118

Tough assignment. I might have to go with Undercurrent by Bill Evans and Jim Hall…just because it’s underrepresented and i KNOW someone will share their copy of Kind of Blue

Yeah, I'm afraid I'll be passing through fiery gates, but I'd have to bring Kind of Blue with me. That recording still effects me, and one I've never grown tired of. Plus, down there, it will likely be my only respite to chill a bit.

In 1977 my father gave me the Bill Evans quintet recording "Quintessence" as I was leaving to study jazz at university. I have listened to it thousands of times since that day in every stage of my life and it has never failed to move me, A Child Is Born in particular. Wonderful music beautifuly recorded. Good enough for my life's sound track, good enough for after.

I get all the votes for Kind of Blue.  Groundbreaking record and all that, but honestly, it's not my favorite Miles.  To my ears he took a giant leap forward with In A Silent Way, and I find that LP much more interesting to listen to.  Having said that, I would be just as inclined to pick Grant Green's LP Idle Moments.  I don't consider Green to be the best guitarist by a long shot but that LP, and the tile track in particular, knock it out of the park.  Just never get tired of listening to it.  But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say.  Opinions are like a**holes.  Everyone has one and nobody wants to hear someone else's.  😂