Volume Control Too Sensitive

My latest issue:

As some of you may be aware I have a Bryston BP-26 preamp connected to a pair of Classe CAM-200 monoblock amps.

My issue is that I have very little range on my volume knob. If looked at as a clockface, I can only go from 6 to 7 using XLR cables, and 6 to 8 using RCA cables.

Not only is this lack of range annoying using the remote control, but I question if the sound is compromised by the fact that I’m just using such a small portion of the volume knob.

Any thoughts on this?

onehorsepony

The input sensitivity of your Class’e amps are 1 volt. That is on the low side. Like I originally suggested all you need to do is add an attenuator. It is no big deal to do that. I use the Schiit SYS to solve the problem that I had with my high gain preamp!

Here are the specs for the Class’e!

Specifications

Power output: 200 watts into 8Ω (mono)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.004%

Gain: 29.02 dB

Input sensitivity: 1V

Signal to noise ratio: 135dB

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω (minimum)

Dimensions: 11.5 x 16 x 9.5 inches

Weight: 48lbs

OP, FWIW,  While you seem happy to be critical of a few who think your Bryston might be one of the sources of your problems (and I think you have more than just one) I don’t see you thanking those who spent time looking into your problems and provided you with good recommendations. And think. No one sent you a bill for their services! A free education.

Next time you should consider hiring a consultant. :-(

+1 newbee

@onehorsepony, regarding your post above, did you listen to the combination of pre and power before you purchased it? If so, was the mismatch between the two components not obvious at that point?

Not being presumptive on the specifics here, but as a general observation, I've come across numerous instances where people put together systems based on positive reviews of individual components and came away dissatisfied because of lack of synergy or downright incompatibilities.

OP:

My comment to "get a better pre amp" was based off experience with the brand. Always found it dry and sterile. You’re to the point of adding various electronics to it for compatibility sake, I personally wouldn’t go that path to accommodate that piece, but that.s just me. What ever you do I hope it works for you.And  BTW, you come off as the one with a hard on....