Why Is Hi Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?

Why Is Hi-Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?! - The Absolute Sound

Interesting read.

"I recently heard a small 2-way stand mount speaker at a show. The sound was excellent. The product was priced at $50,000 or thereabouts, per pair. Allowing for distribution and marketing leaves about $25,000."

$25000 for distribution and marketing? Really? That much more for this than a similar product at 1/10th the cost?

I don’t doubt the marketing cost per unit could be much higher with boutique products. Makes sense. Is the cat is out of the bag regarding the value proposition of boutique products?

How about fancy fuses marketed for free here that cost practically nothing to ship? Oh my!

I guess there are "excellent" expensive boutique products and others that offer value everywhere. Hifi not unique. Take your pick! Live and learn!

The article also chalks up people’s reactions to high-fi prices to emotion. What about the sound they hear? Real or emotionally distorted? What would Mr. Spock think about that? I know he likes music...he plays a harp!

128x128mapman

@chocaholic : my analogy VW vs. a Ferrari had nothing to do with performance. Only cost / price. In other words, Ferrari is unaffordable to me, therefore, I don’t test drive it, because I simply cannot afford to buy it. I only look at the car makes and models I can afford.

Many (including me) would say the difference between a $2k amp and a $20k amp is very subtle and indistinguishable by many, save for the aesthetics. So, not a realistic analogy IMHO.

Then what’s the problem? If you are so sure about the indistinguishable difference between a $2,000 and a $20,000 amp, obviously buy the $2,000 amp and call it a day. Problem solved. No reason to sweat about the price / value of the $20,000 amp

Again, Price has nothing to do with sound.  Can someone make something as good or better for less, why sure.  There a differences though depending on who makes the product.

I imagine no body here has tried to manufacturer anything and sell it in a competitive market.  It is not so easy.  Everyone has an opinion on everything and most likely, no body has had the opportunity to do extensive comparisons using different components,

Try designing something, marketing something, getting parts, boxes, reviews, etc.  What do you think that costs?  No one in audio is getting rich, at least not many.  That is why some of the favorite manufacturers are out of business today.

BUT there are high priced components that actually do sound much better.  That I can prove. Our listening room is open in Northern New Jersey if anyone wants to come a play.

Happy Listening.

I never understood $100K amps, $250K speakers, $50K streamers.. Yet, I am totally ok with it. It's called capitalism..  The market will sort itself out in the long run !

+1 @thyname Why are so many budget conscious Audiophiles(?) so concerned about what others spend? I think there is a mind set(fear=snake oil) in them to beat the "Pay to Play" theory which unfortunately exits Another meaningless cliche is "The Law Of Diminishing Returns" It does not apply to a subjective hobby. A $20K amp must sound/measure 10x better then a $2k amp, which is a foolish formula. A 20k amp can sound a million times(subjective) better then a 2k amp. IMO the 20k amp would clearly be the better value. There is no need/want or desire for ’Gatekeepers" in this hobby.

@bluorion

Regarding the how much does high fidelity have to cost I will throw out the example of Grado SR80i headphones as a lowest cost entry point. Use these with any good quality streaming app on a smartphone and viola…..really good sound!

Or Vanatoo active speakers. $600 + a smart phone source and you are good to go in many rooms.