Comments re: MSB Director upgrade cost, additional hardware and cables

I know MSB Technology is about innovation, advanced design, state of the art products, etc. but the new MSB Director upgrade price is HIGHER than what I expected. I never thought my next MSB Premier DAC upgrade would cost this much and require a third box and more cables. To be honest, it is troubling that the next MSB Premier DAC upgrade requires a $14,500 expenditure, another box, more cables, etc.

Of course, I understand that technology dictates the upgrade requirements to achieve the next level of sound quality and the associated price. Please note that my Bricasti M21 DAC upgrade was for a new board. My Cost was $1,000 and the sound quality was ‘substantially’ improved. This upgrade makes sense and is an example of Bricasti supporting its customers purchase and investment.

In any case, I am not thrilled with MSB’s very expensive upgrade path for my MSB Premier DAC and will keep my Premier DAC, as is, since it already sounds excellent. Thanks.

A similar email was sent to MSB Technology for their comments. I also know that information on the new MSB Director is limited and being developed. The Director upgrade price for their more expensive DAC models are around $24,500.

hgeifman
Post removed 

i too am happier than a pig in sh*t with my msb analog dac w power base...  the newer discrete is said to offer a little more resolution but i am really not feeling any need for that...

Yeah, seems like a way to squeeze out that last little bit of performance.  If you have $100k+ invested in a Select DAC you probably want that, but I doubt the improvement would be close to revelatory.  Don't know until you try though.

Please see the response below the ==== I received from MSB Technology regarding the announcement of the MSB Director. His explanation makes perfect sense, was very helpful and I better understand MSB’s future product strategy. For example, "the Director was designed to be a brick wall against any of these noises and associated jitter. From the beginning of the company MSB has always considered and respected the customer’s investment and tried to bring the customer along with new technologies as much value as possible".

For the time being, I am keeping my MBS Premier DAC. I listened to my system yesterday and it sound great to my ears.

======================================

"The technology for the current DAC models are going on 7 years old. Lately we have been often asked when are coming out with a new DAC. Bu the core digital engine, the ladders and the clocks are still almost better than what is needed for audio at each price point. Therefore, our ability to do a major improvement pretty much lives in the front end of the DAC. Much more powerful processors were needed that didn’t exist when these DACs were designed. The original design retains the original processors but then adds new processors allowing bigger and better digital filters among other significant refinements. The other important goal is physical and electrical isolation from computer audio noise. All servers and plain computers deliver the exact same bit perfect file, so the musical data is identical. They sound different because of jitter and electrical noise (different from audible noise). This noise can come from your own network equipment and at much higher frequencies from cell towers, TV, and radio stations, etc., conducted along the ethernet cables. The Director was designed to be a brick wall against any of these noises and associated jitter. Early tests say that this has been achieved to a high degree. Also, the difference between connection methods, RCA, AES-XLR, USB, and direct ethernet streaming was designed to be as identical as possible.

Historically, many if not most companies would understandably just come out with a new DAC when they have accomplished something significant. From the beginning of the company MSB has always considered and respected the customer’s investment and tried to bring the customer along with new technologies as much value as possible. In the two previous decades the platforms lasted 10 years always being able to upgrade to the next level models within the 10 years. Due to the intent of the design, this 3rd and current platform could go longer.

MSB works on cost-plus so a new chassis, a new motherboard, new more expensive internal components, and 3 years of design and development have a significant cost. In the end we want to assure you this is not “audiophile pricing”. We believe it is a fair price for a significant improvement in performance from any existing source, also improving the best source one might already have. Importantly, you do you not need to sell your DAC. We believe it is much more frustrating to have to keep your DAC and know the "next model” DAC that was recently introduced is better. And…. your DAC is worth much less money on the used market. In this case your DAC retains its full value. And you are right, your DAC as it is, sounds amazing and you are satisfied with it compared to other DACs you may have considered at its price point and maybe far above. If, and when, you decide to upgrade to the Director, your investment is additive. We believe it is hard to find such value in the high-end audio hobby".

=========================

If you have any comments or thoughts to the above, please post them. Thanks.

Don't want to get into the is it worth it debate as those who can afford it will buy it and those that can't won't.

What I can tell you is that at the recent High End show in Munich the rooms that were using the MSB dac's and amplifiers were the best sounding at the show! 

MSB have done it again