A first

I have a newer system that I assembled earlier this year.  It includes the Luxman D-10X CD/SACD player, a Constellation Audio Integrated, Perlisten S7t speakers, and an older Music Hall MMF-7.1 tt with a Grade Sonata.

I had two friends over Saturday, and they love music but could not care less about sound.  They often hook up their phone to my system and play MP3 files.  Truly horrible sound, but they never cared.

I asked them to sit on the sofa and I played music, some they knew, some they did not.

The woman said it seemed like they were at a live concert.  The man said (and he is very cynical about nearly everything) that he never cared about "this audiophile thing", but he has never heard anything this great.

I doubt they will ever change what they listen on at their home, but I was so pleased that they were open enough to drop the cynicism and listen.

By the way, this system is in a big room, and it sounds spectacular.  

rpeluso

While fully recognizing the imperatives of domestic constraints, every additional inch that you can ease those speakers out from the wall behind them, the system will sound even better.

Buy partner a well thought out gift… move out two inches. Wait. Buy another gift, move out another inch. 

I might give that a try, but I find it hard to accept things can get much better.  

Oh, I live alone.  

Back in the mid- to late-1980s I lived across the street from a well-known jazz musician. I also had a big/serious 2 channel system that pleased me to no end (Vandersteen 4s + big Music Reference tube amp for mains & SS for integrated subs + VPI TT + VTL tube preamp).

My musician friend introduced me to all these industry people, including two top audio execs (one from NAD, the other from Atlantic Technology). He mentioned to them I was an "audiophile" and had a big system in my house (pointing across the street). These 2 guys seemed very interested in hearing my system, so we walked over and I fired it up.

I knew it was going to be rough when the NAD guy caught sight of my 26" NAD TV monitor, a device legendary at the time for looking great and breaking continually. He said snidely, "So, how many times has this been in the shop?" I didn’t appreciate the sarcasm but said nothing.

Then they listened to 2-3 minute classical cut I played. Then they both jumped on me and interrogated me (in a somewhat hostile manner). "Do you think you’re an ’audiophile’?" "Do you think you’re better than other music lovers?" "What's so special about this equipment?" (they were unfamiliar with some of the names). Rude as hell but I did my best to answer. Then we all went back to the party.

To this day it’s one of the weirdest experiences I’ve ever had, fending off hostile questions from audio execs in my own living room...

If being an audiophile is a "lonely" endeavor, what are we doing here?

It is an expensive hobby and most people have other priorities.

Near SOTA and SOTA systems blow everybody away, if not with music, movies and music videos will do it. If I have a movie buff at hand I play the opening seen of Top Gun, never fails to blow their minds.