Another person going digital and full of questions

I'm yet another new member trying to figure out the digital streaming world.  I've been streaming Tidal and Idagio from my desktop computer through an RME ADI-2 dac and into various headphones for a while.  Now I'd like to add digital streaming on my main system.  I'm just looking for a source that would provide streaming services to my existing preamp (Audible Illusions) amp (Audio Research) and speakers (Wilson Benesch Act 1).  I'm looking for something to complement my other sources, a VPI turntable and a Rega CD player and Benchmark 1 DAC.  I don't want to rip my CDs or play any stored music files.  So far, I'm learning that there are more recent and better DACs out there than the old Benchmark, and that I should consider a quieter box than my computer to connect to ethernet.  But I'm lost in a sea of streamers, servers, reclockers, power supplies, etcetera, most with unfamiliar brand names.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  budget in the $5k range but can stretch a little.

mattchanoff

Like several have said,

Get a Bluesound Node 2 for starters and see where it leads you. A lot of people love the new DAC, a lot of people use and external DAC. Some people have changed the wall wart, some people have changed an internal board and use a linear power supply. Some people have just changed the power cord. 
And if you feel need better,  can always sell it and try something else.

All the best.

JD

gdnrbob

I moved to Aurender, which had a slightly improved sound, but very limited (Tidal and Qobuz only) apps, and no means of playing on a second system. (I like to stream to both my office and the Main system).

I now use a Innuos Zen Mini for the office and an Ayre Qb-9 Twenty.

I am looking into the Aurender as well.  What Aurender did you try?  The phrase "slightly improved sound" bothers me.  The N20, which I am considering, is too expensive for just "slightly".

Thanks

A summary of how to digital for noobs:

step 1) Get a Bluesound Node. It’s an all in one with a better interface than most. You can get your feet wet with a minimum of fuss. It’s compatible with nearly all the streaming services so you can try them out and find your music. There are other more labor intensive options if you have a DIY bug, and better sounding ones if you’re looking for one and done. Overall, it’s a good start.

step 2) Get an external DAC. This is where the magic happens. Some research and trials may be necessary to match your taste and your existing system. Consider buying used until you narrow it down a little. Consider starting with lower end models and then moving up the line when you find a manufacturer you like.

step 3) Buy a better streamer. Now you know enough to know more of what you want. Are you going to have a big library? Do you want to try Roon? Do you have multiple zones? It might even turn out that the Node is good enough for your needs, except you’re an audiophile and probably can’t control your urge to upgrade.

step 4) Buy an expensive DAC. Now that your streamer is up to snuff, you’d be doing yourself a disservice to use a lesser model. Consider master clocks, linear power supplies, and exotic cables. You’re in deep now and you want to squeeze every last bit of possible sound quality out of digital.

step 5) repeat step 3 and step 4 as needed. You may want to alternate with improving the other parts of your system so everything stays “in balance”. Enjoy. This is now the rest of your life. 

@cat_doorman that’s exactly right, great description, you nailed it! Nice dose of humor too.

When starting with digital, one should start it slow, inexpensive, and built from there, once gaining knowledge and familiarity with the sound. And build from there, if the hobby still interests you, and the budget is available 

well done well said @cat_doorman

i would only add that by steps 3-4, iterating there, one should look carefully that their networking and system noise management to get the most out of their streamer and dac upgrades in their digital system, certainly if one plays with standalone dacs in the >$3000 level