Paradigm 3f vs 120h

Hi all,

I've got a pair of prestige 75f which I love but looking for a speaker that fills my 18x22 foot room a bit more. I'm considering the persona 3f but am intrigued by the new founder 120h, which is about the same price.  Has anyone compared the two?

average_joe

The persona’s have a much higher ceiling with superior detail, resolution, and soundstaging, but need more tlc. You can stick the founders into the corners and point them at the listening position and jam.

@steve59 What type of TLC does the Persona need? I have a small room and now have electronics in this room that are ideally suited for the Persona. I am thinking of getting the 3F and letting my Thiel CS3.7 go. Just for the sake of change.

I listened to the 7f at the dealer for a year b4 buying them and they were so sensitive to components! They were the only speakers I could reliably hear a difference between dac's. I also noticed when the speakers were moved into a room that had a tv monitor off to the side but within a few feet and I heard some midrange glare from the reflected sound. I loved them with the pathos logos mk2 but not so much with my hegel h360. 

If you have room from the sidewalls you should be fine. I had a pair of blades come up locally I wanted to try so sold the persona's. If your room is small the 7f is probably more bass than you need, the 3f can fill a room with tight deep bass and you can eq the drivers all you want they're bulletproof.

My room is not big, but I have it acoustically treated and my current Thiel CS3.7 work fine in there. The speaker would sound even better if I was not killing that first reflection so early but that is what I have to work with. I was thinking that the Persona 3F maybe even better in a small room.

My warm gear that I would use are the following:

Musetec 005 DAC

CODA 07x preamp

KRELL Duo 175XD

I have this combo with my very bright headphones and it sound amazing. The Persona will be much easier to get right with these electronics. I was just wondering about placement.

TV monitors are the worst for audio systems. I tried to make it work in my space and it was instantly evident how things went pear shaped.

BTW - Do you have a preference between the Blade and Persona 7F?

@yyzsantabarbara ,

You have some great source and amp gear that should allow the Personas  to shine.  But given your amplification and smaller room size, with the much more efficient Personas, you may end up playing at lower volume settings than usual.  Not a problem if Krell sounds good at lower vols, but something to be aware of.  

In a 16 x 24 ft room (more similar to OP's room) and an Ayre Acoustics AX-5 TWENTY,  the Persona 3F's have space to open up and yet still can provide plenty of compression. I can get  to a max reasonable volume with the Ayre set at only about 25%.  

Another factor is the Persona's rather wide dispersion profiles for midrange and highs.  Its's uncanny, but my  " sweetspot" ended up being broad and pronounced.

Hope it works out for you and @average_joe .