TONEARM REWIREE - DUMB QUESTION

I am thiking about re-wiring an arm myself from cartridge tags to phono plugs.

My questions are:

1. after exiting the arm does one solder a heavier gauge of cable to beef up the smaller cable

2. does one simply shield the cable on exiting the arm

3. any wire recommendations other than cardas which i understand are quite stiff

lohanimal

You don't say what tonearm you are re-wiring. This will impact what kind of wire you use and how to go about shielding it.

SME's for example take to the Cardas wire exceedingly well. I've done over a hundred of them and the stiffness (which is greatly exaggerated) has never been a problem, and using the shielded wire eliminates a lot of messing around.

hi @blackdoghifi 

Well - it's a few arms:

Sony PUA-7 (as lifted from a pSX 70) - the wires were left bare without a plug (it's how I bought it

JVC UA 7045

Possibly a WT Classic

I wish that there was a similar kit to the Inccognito that would take out the wiring guesswork and soldering. 

I am advised that the Kabusa wire is without doubt the most flexible. It's copper. i am not pro-copper/pro-silver - I am wondering if the gauge is too small to run to the RCA plugs.

I am advised that the Kabusa wire is without doubt the most flexible.

That stuff looks pretty good in terms of flexibility, but check out Audio Note AN-WIRE-300. It’s made from three strands of 0.0019" thick silver wire (half the thickness of the average human hair) and has 6 coats of polyurethane as insulation. It’s incredibly hard to work with, but I can’t imagine anything thinner or more flexible. I ran mine straight from the cartridge clips to phonostage RCAs.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/audio-note-silver-internal-tone-arm-wire.html

Here’s my wire next to a typical Bic ball point pen:

Kabusa uses Silicone Sheath, and is very flexible for this reason. 

This is in use in my Tonearm at present, but I am due to have this exchanged to a bespoke produced wire in the not too distant future.