TONEARM REWIREE - DUMB QUESTION

I am thiking about re-wiring an arm myself from cartridge tags to phono plugs.

My questions are:

1. after exiting the arm does one solder a heavier gauge of cable to beef up the smaller cable

2. does one simply shield the cable on exiting the arm

3. any wire recommendations other than cardas which i understand are quite stiff

lohanimal

If you can find a Wire of approx' 0.3mm OD, that is of interest, that has a Silicone Sheath, the suppleness of these wire types, will offer further reassurance the Tonearm is not being impeded mechanically, by having the minimum subjection to resistance being met from the wire whilst functioning.   

You don't say what tonearm you are re-wiring. This will impact what kind of wire you use and how to go about shielding it.

SME's for example take to the Cardas wire exceedingly well. I've done over a hundred of them and the stiffness (which is greatly exaggerated) has never been a problem, and using the shielded wire eliminates a lot of messing around.

hi @blackdoghifi 

Well - it's a few arms:

Sony PUA-7 (as lifted from a pSX 70) - the wires were left bare without a plug (it's how I bought it

JVC UA 7045

Possibly a WT Classic

I wish that there was a similar kit to the Inccognito that would take out the wiring guesswork and soldering. 

I am advised that the Kabusa wire is without doubt the most flexible. It's copper. i am not pro-copper/pro-silver - I am wondering if the gauge is too small to run to the RCA plugs.

I am advised that the Kabusa wire is without doubt the most flexible.

That stuff looks pretty good in terms of flexibility, but check out Audio Note AN-WIRE-300. It’s made from three strands of 0.0019" thick silver wire (half the thickness of the average human hair) and has 6 coats of polyurethane as insulation. It’s incredibly hard to work with, but I can’t imagine anything thinner or more flexible. I ran mine straight from the cartridge clips to phonostage RCAs.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/audio-note-silver-internal-tone-arm-wire.html

Here’s my wire next to a typical Bic ball point pen: