Cable curmudgeon

I'm not an 'audiophile" but I like to think I have a good ear having been a professional musician (principal wind player in major symphony orchestras) for 50 years. A number of years ago going into an excellent audio equipment store I talked with, what seemed, a knowledgeable salesman.  Being a musician experienced in audio systems but not expert on all the equipment out there I had some questions concerning high (over-priced?) end cables. The salesman assured there was an audible differencet in a demo room switching back and forth etc.  After a few minutes I noticed the sound coming out of only one channel.  He complemented me on my "good ear."  Hmmm? A few years later when setting up my home system I investigated speaker cables. Two sets of Monster, stranded standard cable, solid core copper (used for alarm system) attached with like connecters. There was a difference.  However, not in terms of better or worse: bass and treble were acceptable as was clarity loud and soft.  Differences were esthetic- like asking "whose the best tenor" (I like Plácido).  Now I know as a musician used to live (i.e. un-amplified) music that all I hear coming out of a loud speaker is perforce ersatz.  But most everything today comes out of a loud speaker whether a rock concert or a hi-fi system so perhaps my opinion is curmudgeonly. But, for me, spending oodles of money on hyped cables, well... I  liked the solid core for my alarm system- still do.

exflute

@clearthinker  What a shame, you merely told @soix that you disagreed with and did not call him derogatory names, insult his taste, or tell him to get off the site. as he did to the OP.

Soix: "So, what the hell are you even doing here trollsicle? Enjoy listening to your cheap-ass, crap stereo in total ignorance, attend only un-amplified acoustic performances, and while you’re at it feel free to not come back here. Your post and uninformed opinions are absolutely meaningless in the context of this site. Troll elsewhere."

We all know cables are one of the best profit centers in hi-fi, perhaps that explains the ferocity which some defend them. Personally I am open to persuasion on the issue but am leaning to being skeptical for the following reasons, A.) cables get much less attention on the pro side whether it is the recording studio or the electric musician. B.) I am not aware of cables being overly significant in other mission critical electronics such as in the medical field or aeronautics or telecommunications. There is a justification in all of these areas for a well built, properly specked wire, but none of the hocus pocus that only seems prevalent among us audio hobbyists.  C.)  I can't overlook the fact that precious few manufacturers that I know of bother to include anything more than basic well made cables with their equipment. If it really made a difference wouldn't you want to add a $1000 power cable to you $10,000 amp to make sure your customers got the best out of it? Especially if equipment matching is part of the equations as has been frequently claimed.  D.) Reviewers I respect, Darko, Lavorgna, have stated that on the scale of possible audio improvements cables are way, way down the list. Others have said that cables may change the sound but whether it is an improvement is an entirely subjective determination.

As for the issue of acoustic vs electric music for evaluating "fidelity", I just don't see how anything other than acoustic music could be the standard. Yes, there is the very real issue of acoustics and the importance of the recording venue AND the very real issue that symphonic orchestras just don't play in people's homes in real life, so there is some artificiality even in these cases. But for electronic and amplified music how can you talk about fidelity when no one ever really heard the original music till it was all mixed, dubbed  and mastered?

I think that it is closer to the truth in this hobby to say we all just pick the forms of distortion we prefer.

bruce19

What a shame, you merely told @soix that you disagreed with and did not call him derogatory names ...

You must not have seen the now-deleted post. It was derogatory.

... cables are one of the best profit centers in hi-fi, perhaps that explains the ferocity which some defend them.
It seems to me that the "ferocity" is from those who insist there's no difference between cables.

Anything at all for their war effort... for the ill thought out and anti-intelligence, anti-thinking, anti-invention and anti-’upward, forward’ crew.

They’ll do anything to press their opinions and incapacitates upon all others, out of FOMO on the capacities scale of human skill sets and intellect. I just warned y’all about this in another thread. They just don’t understand and they will commit to anything, anything at all (in the repetitive insistent intrinsically blind fondling of their own egos), to make their thoughts into your reality.

No choice, really, as one’s capacity to discern and think, imagine, extrapolate, etc... and thus hear... threatens their future - threatens it...simply via existing.

Where's 'The Ministry Of Truth' when you need it?

@soix 

Thank you so much for your observation.  Your only intention seemed to be to put down @exflute  for having ears that can perform well in a top orchestra but you allege does not perceive differences in the sound of cables that you allege (without any objective testing) to be able to perceive.

@oliver_reid 

Thank you for your rational, cool, post which which I fully agree.  I doubt Soix would agree with much of it so that makes you 'clueless' if you care what Soix thinks.

@baylinor 

Thank you for your rational question.  The chief difference in my two posts you read is that one is a negative commentary on a music genre, which is a passive, non living person, and the other is a defence of an individual who was unnecessarily attack for holding an opinion and, as a top musician, may be sensitive.  Passive objects suffer no discomfort from such attacks, although those who identify with such an object might get their feelings hurt a bit if they suffer from under-confidence.  Whereas individuals can suffer damage.  The former are therefore fair game whereas the latter are worthy of respect and understanding.

I should be happy to post a photo of my system here if someone will tell me how to do it.  But many here something of it from my other posts.

Unusual elements are:

No streaming or similar.

CD and SACD players but rarely used.

Electrostatics speakers since 1978.  Currently Martin Logan CLS Anniversaries

Simon Yorke S10 and Aeroaarm, the latter a very rare rig, air bearing, less than 10 customer units, the most effective air bearing arm ever designed.  Awesome.

Five or six high end low output moving coils

van den Hul The Grail SE.

Other amps are Audio Research.

Cabling is mostly Siltech.

I don't tweak much and don't spend money on passive components, save the room which has been purpose built.