Anyone tried the original Playstation 1 for CD?

I read the story in Six Moons about the original Playstation 1 being an excellent CD player. Has anyone actually tried doing this? Bob
128x128baranyi
As one can tell from my prior post, I broke my ps1 out for the heck of it this weekend after a few years. I must say my initial positive impressions remain. Forgetting the ergonomic eccentricities, it remains a very NON-fatiguing listening experience. What i mean is one can actually listen to this thing for hours at a time without digitally induced headache or stress.

The resolution or lack of resolution issues remain, and it does not plumb the depth of bass. Also the high end is really quite nice, and unlike even much more expensive digital equipment, it gets high hats right, which is the bane of most dacs. Also it seems to do decays much better then most.

All in all i still rate this a must buy for the price and dont care about measurements, cheapness or jokes-it is still a viable option. Particularly for those who never really loved digital.

And yes, ive used some good dacs in the past...
So am I the only one with tracking problems? I've had 3 units (still have 2 of them) and have problems in the areas of:

won't play a disc at all, and

will "hang up" for a few seconds every 5 or 10 minutes.
agree 100% with kbuzz--there's definitely an engaging "analogue" quality to the ps1. philistine that i am, i could not get past its quirks (stupid looks, long load time, annoying controller), but for shear listenability, it really does outdo many pricy players, which have greater detail but less natural presentation.
My PS1 CDP has thinner inch long brass footers and I believe they helped since my PS1 vibrates a lot to me. I just don't remember what my results were before the brass footers were installed. I too agree with KBuzz's sonic views on the PS1.