Is an isolation transformer better than a power conditioner?

I was never thrilled with my Shunyata Triton/Typhon pc.

It improves the SQ but not dramatically. And it is two large chassis that take up a lot of real estate. And not particularly attractive. And we’re $18K new! One would expect transformative performance.

Just went to great lengths and expense to run a dedicated AC line. $4.5K of special Oyaide cable, duplexes and cover plates. And $1.2K electrician.

It was also highly recommended that I also go with an isolation transformer. Went from Torus to Bryston to Equitech. Focusing on the balanced power Equitech.

Getting one, I am curious to know if it will “blow away” my T/T as I have been told.

And with the dedicated AC, maybe not plugging my amps into the new duplexes but the Et would be better. Or plugging in the Et to the T/T and the T/T into the wall.

But I sure would like to get rid of the Shunyatas.

mglik

The result of power conditioners is highly dependent on your home and the incoming power. Typically direct lines (one for components and one for the power amp) is always a good improvement.

Generally the power conditioner is used only for components… with your improvements you will have to see if there is still a good improvement with the power conditioner. In my circumstances there is… 30 seconds of listening without my power conditioner is plenty to realize it is doing important work.

My opinion is that the benefit of the power conditioner/transformer/regenerator is often exaggerated.  Your characterization that "SQ is improved but not dramatically" is about the best you can hope for. 

This coming from a guy that has a power regenerator in transit to me. But my expectations are low.  Hopefully I will be impressed.

Jerry