Amp Recommendations for Marantz 7c

Hey All,

I recently acquired a Marantz 7 with intentions in setting up a second system that would be more or less a vintage set up. While I await work to be completed, I was looking into amplification options. The obvious choice would be it’s mate, 8 or 8b amps, however trying to keep this system budget friendly. Wondering what some of amp the owners out there have matched their 7c with positive result. Anyone try a restored or modded Dynaco st70 or a SS? Should be noted, I am up in the air with speaker match...Guess that will depend on what amp I purchase.

c_cocobean

@c_cocobean: I have owned and enjoyed the Dynaco Stereo 70, a pair of the Quad 2 mono’s, an early 50w ARC (the Dual 51), and have heard (admittedly briefly) VTL’s, Jadis’, New York Audio Labs Moscodes, Conrad-Johnson’s, a modified (by Robert Fulton) Stereo 70, and numerous other smaller tube amps.

If I was now looking for a small tube amp to buy it would be the Music Reference RM-10 Mk.2. Since it was introduced in the 1990’s and it’s designer/builder is no longer with us, I guess it can be considered a vintage piece ;-). Occasionally available for around $1500, it is a beaut!.

@bdp24 a couple yrs back I was close to buying a MF RM 10-At the time there were a few on sale. I have not seen one up for sale lately. I also owned the Moscode 300-Gottta say, I was quite impressed with it. I had it restored, but still couldn't get rid of the transformer hum that some suffer from. 

c_cocobean: I haven’t seen an RM-10 for awhile either, and when I have they went fast. Of course there is also the RM-9 Mk.2, itself a great amp (at least as good as a Mac MC75). A quartet of EL34's per channel for 125 watts, plus classic styling that would look great in your application. I got mine from my old pals at Brooks Berdan Ltd. for just under two grand. Money well spent!

Rumor has it RAM Labs/Music Ref is coming out with an updated RM10 Mk3 in a few months.......if I didn't already have a pristine RM10 Mk2 bought new from Roger in 2011 I'd be onboard.