Balanced versus single ended

From my experience, every situation that had both options, the balanced connection and/or increased gain sounded better, regardless of the bolume knob’s final position. More detail , air, emotional connection etc. The single ended cables used were good, not the bargain or so called high end extreme.

Sometimes using balanced or xlr it involved just the source, but optimally it carried through thd entire chain.

Anyways, my question is: has anyone ever thought that single ended sounded better?given the 2 options. Im only referring to a truly balanced connection.

I ask, because a manufacturer who makes tube amps, recommends single over balanced connection. Is there something else involved in this decision, additional parts or labor complexity? Is the signal path extended?

Thanks in advance

recluse

Plenty of situations where they sounded the same.  Many don't even realize that the single ended inputs on their amps may just be there for show.  😁

Still, since I want to be very careful and have the cables I run my DAC to integrated using shielded balanced cables.  When I've had to run single ended on the same setup I can't say I heard a difference.

Great question.  I had always assumed and read that balanced was 'better'.  When I went full in with Audionet Electronics, I was advised by my very respected friend and Audionet importer Bill at GTT Audio that I should use single ended interconnects.  I did not understand, so I actually ended up calling the designer of Audionet in Germany.  He stated the exact same as Bill.  Balanced requires an op amp at the input end, which adds distortion.  So I switched to single ended interconnects as advised.  I have not a/b compared, but it sounds amazing.

I second Ralph's (Atmasphere)'s post.

You need equipment that supports the AES standard in order to compare balanced to RCA.-Otherwise, it is a crapshoot.

Utilizing the AES 48 standard should eliminate the effect of cables affecting sound quality.

FWIW, when I bought my Atma equipment, Ralph supplied me with a 25 foot length of XLR interconnect to go between preamp and amp (Mogami?) at a very low price. When I had an itch to scratch, I called my dealer who sold me some AQ Yukon to replace it. Long story short, I didn't notice a significant difference between the two cables. So, for me, using XLR with equipment that supports the AES standard, you don't have to pay an exorbitant price. If you use RCA, you might have to cycle through a number of cables in order to find one that sync's with your equipment-esp. if it doesn't support the AES standard.

I hope this makes sense. 

Bob

I'm using a preamp that has both single ended and balanced.   For me it's a bonus because I can connect 5 analog sources .  Two XLR in and three RCA inputs are plenty analog inputs for me.   It allows me to use pro-sumer gear like DACs whether they have RCA out or not.   Using a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven 2 RCA and Mogami Pro Gold XLR from the same source it's hard to tell a difference.   Any perception of better sound is the difference in gain in my opinion