Maggie LRS amping question

I've had a pair of LRS for a few months, and been extremely happy with them. I'm currently running them off a Rotel RC-9808x preamp and a Rotel RB-9808x amp. This setup seems great, but as I don't know if I'm reaching the LRSs potential, I'm wondering if its worth it to buy a second RB-9808x and run them in mono. Would this be worth it? are we talking 1% better or 10% better? The detail is already superlative, I'm just wondering if the soundstage would benefit from the additional power.

avicci

I just installed a pair of LRS driven by a pair high-current 800-watt Parasound JC 1 monoblocks, and augmented with a pair of KEF KC62 subs.  The sound is impressive.

db

For $650 speakers, you can't ask for much more. If I were you, I would just try another amp that is higher end from a company who gives trial periods, or maybe borrow another amp from a friend to try if you have one who has multiples. After seeing as many reviews on those speakers as I have, they are supposed to sound better the higher grade equipment you have. 

I agree with Jasonbourne 52 not to bridge in mono for the reasons given.  

@avicci  I see this is your first post on your first day on Audiogon, welcome!

Regardless of the one post above, your LRS have received nothing but universal praise for the sound they deliver, regardless of place withing the Magnepan line.  It is one of the only speakers I can think of that I have never read anything but glowing reviews.  See @dbphd post above and enjoy.

It is one of the only speakers I can think of that I have never read anything but glowing reviews.

Don’t read the ASR test review.

I just installed a pair of LRS driven by a pair high-current 800-watt Parasound JC 1 monoblocks, and augmented with a pair of KEF KC62 subs. The sound is impressive.

The Rotel is nice gear but there is much better stuff out there, look at some 250 wpc stereo amps, after that start looking at preamps. Each step will be a nice upgrade from what you are running now.

If you love them now, don't change anything, maybe begin to save up for a similar product that is larger, as others have said.  If you think they need to do better,  i agree with trying different amps.  From my own experience, it is not the price of the amp that is the deciding factor, but the amount of damping and/or some other synergy that is hard to define.  I found the SMSL DA-9 to do better than expected!  Not saying you should buy one, but if you can borrow one, try it, don't be afraid to try any inexpensive Class-D amp that you can borrow.  They may have better control over the bass, and the diffuse imaging of the LRS could maybe hide the other flaws the amp may have!

This is a true story, at least in my house, haha!