Amp Recommendations for Marantz 7c

Hey All,

I recently acquired a Marantz 7 with intentions in setting up a second system that would be more or less a vintage set up. While I await work to be completed, I was looking into amplification options. The obvious choice would be it’s mate, 8 or 8b amps, however trying to keep this system budget friendly. Wondering what some of amp the owners out there have matched their 7c with positive result. Anyone try a restored or modded Dynaco st70 or a SS? Should be noted, I am up in the air with speaker match...Guess that will depend on what amp I purchase.

c_cocobean

A pair of Quicksilver mid-monos would look great. The amps sound great and would be a nice pairing. No need for older gear with these, instant antique with world class sound. 

I own a restored 7T in my home office system, and have paired it with both a lightly restored Dynaco st-70, and a Bob Latino ST-70. I prefer the latter as it is not as tubby sounding as the original. The VTA amps are a great value.

I recently acquired a Marantz 7 with intentions in setting up a second system that would be more or less a vintage set up.

@c_cocobean I hope the work you are having done is having the power supply rebuilt in that preamp (or it was recently done prior to purchase). If it is stock and still working, it won't be for long and when it fails it can take out the power transformer which would be tragic. It also will not sound right if the power supply is compromised!

It will work fine with any vintage amp. One of the best vintage amps is the Harmon Kardon Citation 2. If you have one that is properly refurbished, and if your preamp is also, you may find the 'vintage' sound to be quite excellent. Have fun!