Those that upgraded from Tekton

What did you move on to?

I think it’s time I move on from my DIs, I really like how they sound but they are just too big and opposing for my room. Would be interested in something front ported as I have a room that is wide but not deep (speakers are 8 ft away from listening position and only 1 ft from back wall).

Was thinking Cornwall IV maybe or something from Salk but those might not be an upgrade from the DI.

Up to $5k budget and prefer used. Powered by Line Magnetic LM805i

And please don’t come here just to talk crap about Tekton……….

blkwrxwgn

Tannoy or Tekton....hmmm let me think about it.....

Seriously, I often forget about Tannoy and need to fix that.    Definitely an alternative to Tekton these days.

I really liked the Song 3 Encores at the RMAF.  Unfortunately, I had already purchased my speakers.  Wish I had waited for the show.  They sounded better than a $60,000 system next door.  However, Jim Salk was playing them through a pair of tube Monoblock's.  I wonder if the tube amps had something to do with it.  Maybe there is something about tube to consider?

Have you thought about Atc? I don’t know if they’re better or worse than what you got; probably they are just different. They do well close to a wall because they’re sealed and the SCM 40, for example, is a relatively small speaker compared to yours. You can get them used for around 4K, so it will fit your budget. See if you can find an opportunity to listen. I love mine. 

Went from DIs to Dynaudio Contour 20s. I don’t think I had enough power for those at the time and they didn’t stay long. Then got some Klipsch Chorus 2s which were fun but ultimately we’re not any of the things audiophiles look for besides being loud!! Sounded good with lots of eq. Then bought some Cerwin Vega DX9s (was on a vintage speaker rock trip). They were freaking awesome! ….. for some things. Rock is rock on those dudes, they had a built in eq that was just right. Liked the Cerwins way more than the Klipsch and I would not mind owning another pair some day.

Today have Pioneer S1EX and a pair of Focal 836W. I would say they both do certain things better than the DIs. The DIs were really fun though sounded huge and were fun to listen to. Very detailed and non fatiguing. Cabinet talked at loud levels and or the tweeters (mid range) was giving out. I would love to hear some higher end Tektons with a sturdier cabinet and possibly more “high end” drivers.  

Local ATC 40V2 near me for sale I have been eying m669. What have you compared them to?