Rogue Audio and Audio Research Comparisons

Recently I've purchased a Rogue ST-100 amp and enjoying quite a bit. My personal opinion is it punches way above its price point and in my opinion has a lot of the Audio Research sonic characteristics. Curious has anyone owned both Rogue and ARC and what are your thoughts?  I'm not referring to the current Ref series but the older such as REF110, REF150 and REF75SE.  

Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

I know some people with both a Ref 160s and a REF 75se… while the REF160s is an upgrade they just can’t part with the REF75SE because it sounds so good. 

Personally I always trade in my amp to reach up the maximum possible… I think folks not being able to give up their REF75SE says it all. They are wonderful amps.

My favorite local certified golden eared dealer sold mainly Audio Research as his reference and Rogue for similar good tube sound for less.

In more recent years the Rogue Hybrid Class D gear took over as his favorite go-to.

@samzx12   Yep, the Stereo 100 does respond well to tube rolling, and I agree that the stock JJs are unimpressive sounding, and on the thin side.  I've done a fair amount of tube rolling in the ST100.   If you can find a pair of CBS 7729 tubes for gain, get them!  The 7729 as gain are probably my favorite for the ST100.  Super detailed, dynamic, completely quiet and neutral.  I have those 7729 in my phono pre right now though, they are perfect there.  Right now in the ST100 I have good old RCA 12ax7 long black plates as gain tube, CBS 7730 as driver. This combo jives well with the RP9.  Amperex "medical grade" long plates sound amazing as gain in the ST100, as does the Tungsram 12Ax7.  I did not like NOS Mullard long plates, though, they seem veiled in the treble.  Anyway, it's all about flavor, it's hard to make this amp sound bad  : )

Thank you Gakerty. I did buy some CBS 12AU7 but not the medical grade you mentioned.  They are a bit pricey.  The CBS tubes just have a nice linear sound but haven't spent that much time with them yet.  Amperex 12ax7 so far are my favorites.  

I ran my ST-100 with Gold Lion tubes. Stock JJs don’t cut it as they sound plain and flat. I also had good experience with Brimar CV4003 from Upscale combined with the Gold Lions it was the right blend. The amp also sounded much better in Triode mode than it did in Ultralinear. It produced sweeter more vibrant and dimensional soundstage. Rogue customer service is also first rate. 
The ST-100 is a great value in its own right but it isn’t Audio Research Ref75SE level. The degree of improvement will depend on the components chain and speakers. I don’t think it’s possible to quantify without taking all this into consideration.