Does Anyone Else Member the Golden Age of Audio Insults and Product Degradation?

My time in audio (and, video) goes way back.  How far back?  Does selling console stereos with ceramic cartridges mounted on record changers go back far enough?  Things were very competitive back then.  And, energetic and creative peddlers of consumer electronics didn't hold anything back.

Here's some examples from my memory.  Maybe you can add some of your own?

Maggotbox:  Magnavox

RCA Victim:  RCA Victor

Kindlingwood:  Kenwood

Soundshitty:  Sansui

Altec Lansing "Voice of the Outhouse":  "Voice of the Theater"

Karmon Hardon:  Harmon Kardon

And, who can forget?:  "No highs.  No lows.  It must be Bose."

Or:  "You can knock a Yamaha.  But, you can't Nakamichi."

Enjoy.

128x128waytoomuchstuff

Dave, skimed back through and don’t see any racist comments. Just silly people having fun. Can you show me what you see? Maybe one of the deleted post.

in the late 70’s, I owned a pair of Ball sack B-302 speakers.  Traded them in on some DQ-10’s. Anyone remember if there was a nickname for them. I can’t right now.

I've been around a long time (67), and I haven't heard of most of these, but the one that isn't a joke, but nearly everyone pronounces incorrectly is Technics. They pronounce it Techniques. That is incorrect.

waytoomuchstuff OP

74 posts

A little on subject/off subject remark:

When I was 17, I blew a woofer in my brother's Sansui speakers playing The Big Sound of the Drags LP.  I took them to the local audio saloon for repair and was told: "Sansui speakers aren'tt worth the postage to send them here from Japan!!"  That was my first experience with an audio specialty store

I have that record, complete with a bunch of autographs (Garlits, Eddie Hill etc.)!

acman3

3,675 posts

Dave, skimed back through and don’t see any racist comments. Just silly people having fun. Can you show me what you see? Maybe one of the deleted post.

Some people just live to be faux-enraged.